Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Does any one make a locker for a Suby?

Guest Overkiller

They make such a thing for retrofitting cars that get towed behind RV's.

Remco Axle-lock:

remcoaxlelock.jpg

I just checked into their site and they have no options for Subarus :(

We need to check out other cars that have similar axle shaft lengths that they offer products for...

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat
forgot a word :P

we were talking to a locker manufacturer here in australia, probably based in america though

he would be happy to set the tooling up to make them that was not a problem, but we needed to sell 500 before he started and price would be atleast 1000$aus each

i was recelty and still am when the time allowes at making a hydraulich lockker for the rear, using the power steering pump.

and lastly i was thinking ofsomthing like the last few posts about disabling one driveshaft, maybe modifying the hub so that the driveshaft can be pull out through it and it stopping just as the inner spline came out by removing it or somthing like that....

yeah its all up here hahah

Why all this talk about funky locking/unlocking axles?

All one needs is to adapt a manual locking hub setup to the rear hubs of a Subaru. Then it runs like all other 4x4 setups on the planet, except it is the rear that is getting locked out.

Plus, when the hubs are unlocked the entire rear driveline isnt getting turned on the highway. Hello better MPG.

So, why doesnt anyone do that?? :grin:

Seriously.... why hasnt it been done? :)

All one needs is to adapt a manual locking hub setup to the rear hubs of a Subaru. Then it runs like all other 4x4 setups on the planet, except it is the rear that is getting locked out.

Plus, when the hubs are unlocked the entire rear driveline isnt getting turned on the highway. Hello better MPG.

Because, those are drums in the rear on most, and discs on a few.

And the design of the rear hub/spindles won't let you modify much without completely

redesigning how everything connects.

It'd be more difficult than a 5 lug swap.

Twitch

think that hasna been thought of?alot of these types of mods have been thought to death....most ideas around here are not original in the last several years.they have been talked to death by those that would LOVE to take them to production .money, money ....

so, if you think you can, then please....go ahead.

most , like myself who have talked and talked , and planned these types of mods to death do not have the means to machine the pieces,or the knowledge .........

slowly but surely everything we all have worked on will come to fruition.BUT, once again it takes funds.

why would i spend G's to make this happen when i could put that money into my crawler?

cheers, b

Edited by monstaru

think that hasna been thought of?alot of these types of mods have been thought to death....most ideas around here are not original in the last several years.they have been talked to death by those that would LOVE to take them to production .money, money ....

so, if you think you can, then please....go ahead.

most , like myself who have talked and talked , and planned these types of mods to death do not have the means to machine the pieces,or the knowledge .........

slowly but surely everything we all have worked on will come to fruition.BUT, once again it takes funds.

why would i spend G's to make this happen when i could put that money into my crawler?

cheers, b

Gee, you sure are bitter!

Sounds to me like you are making excuses, instead of producing results.

I dont need nor do I want a locker. Thats my excuse :lol:

not bitter at all.i know these cars limits.just stating the same answer to the same old question.......i have done my fair share of research and development.just moved on to more capable ....

and if you are not here to talk about a solution for a locker , then why are you?

your ideas are not new.thanks though.

cheers, b

not bitter at all.i know these cars limits.just stating the same answer to the same old question.......i have done my fair share of research and development.just moved on to more capable ....

and if you are not here to talk about a solution for a locker , then why are you?

your ideas are not new.thanks though.

cheers, b

So you know the limitations.

Youve been around these cars for some time. Thats all great.

But all I see you do on this forum is knock people for re-hashing old ideas. Maybe, just maybe one of these new guys with this "new" idea actually knows something you dont, or even has the money to do something about it. Still, you knock them for asking, simply because you have heard the same discussions before.

Sounds to me like you are not doing any good for the situation. So why do you even post?

You and I both know the solution for the locker. And judging by your posts you have already made up your mind that it will never happen due to the lack of funding (plus your other excuses)

So it sounds to me like a person that has been into this for quite some time, and is dedicated to the off-road Subaru scene needs to quit making excuses and simply do it.

Who will, I dont know. But I for one know you wont. Because you have already made up your mind it will never happen.

So you know the limitations.

Youve been around these cars for some time. Thats all great.

But all I see you do on this forum is knock people for re-hashing old ideas. Maybe, just maybe one of these new guys with this "new" idea actually knows something you dont, or even has the money to do something about it. Still, you knock them for asking, simply because you have heard the same discussions before.

Sounds to me like you are not doing any good for the situation. So why do you even post?

You and I both know the solution for the locker. And judging by your posts you have already made up your mind that it will never happen due to the lack of funding (plus your other excuses)

So it sounds to me like a person that has been into this for quite some time, and is dedicated to the off-road Subaru scene needs to quit making excuses and simply do it.

Who will, I dont know. But I for one know you wont. Because you have already made up your mind it will never happen.

awesome , another troll.

and really, i could care less if it happens.my solution is welded.step up to it if you can...

no excuses here.i simply do not have the resources, and don't care to make it happen.at least not anymore.

i have moved on.

not knocking anyone,if someone has the gumption then awesome...but YOUR idea has been had before.if you can make it happen then do it,and quit squakin about it.

you wanna be a wongleflute to me?come meet me in person, then be a wongleflute.the people i am a wongleflute to , i have met in person.

fair is fair.

come get an ea81 oil pan from me.come on , it'll be fun.

Edited by monstaru

If you give me $6,000 I'll churn one out for you, that would be the cost of modifying an off the shelf unit and buying a 3 axis mill to convert it to the suby spline count.

If you give me 4,000 I'll buy you a Toyota and install an off the shelf one and you'll have 2000 to spend on gas

For 3,000 I'll find you a hatch, install a lift and put tires on it, swap in a welded rear diff and you'll have 3000 dollars for gas.

Why spend the time on a selectable locker when swapping out a rear halfshaft takes maybe 20-30 minutes and is free, the welding of the spider gears is usually the cost of a 12 pack for your friend with a welder.

Most people here that have been around the block a time or two do one of three things.

Leave it open, its free

Weld it, up to 25 bucks if you have to bribe a friend with beer

Buy a Toyota

All three are vastly cheaper than getting a locker that costs more than the car for a platform that realistically is not nearly as capable as a solid axle rig with "real" sized offroad tires.

awesome , another troll.

and really, i could care less if it happens.my solution is welded.step up to it if you can...

no excuses here.i simply do not have the resources, and don't care to make it happen.at least not anymore.

i have moved on.

not knocking anyone,if someone has the gumption then awesome...but YOUR idea has been had before.if you can make it happen then do it,and quit squakin about it.

you wanna be a wongleflute to me?come meet me in person, then be a wongleflute.the people i am a wongleflute to , i have met in person.

fair is fair.

come get an ea81 oil pan from me.come on , it'll be fun.

If you dont care if it ever happens, then why do you come back this thread, repeatedly? :confused: Seriously, if you dont care, just let it be.

Notice how you knock an idea, all the while claiming that you are not knocking ideas?? :lol: Regardless if it has been thought of before. Doesnt matter, because if somebody had moved on such an idea, then there would be something to show for it. This thread is more about tossing ideas around to make something happen. Thats exactly what I have done. Knocking ideas in the form of "its been thought of, nobody ever did it, so it will never happen" simply isnt helpful.

And it is funny how quickly the feeble minded ones jump to threats once challenged.

If you dont care if it ever happens, then why do you come back this thread, repeatedly? :confused: Seriously, if you dont care, just let it be.

Notice how you knock an idea, all the while claiming that you are not knocking ideas?? :lol: Regardless if it has been thought of before. Doesnt matter, because if somebody had moved on such an idea, then there would be something to show for it. This thread is more about tossing ideas around to make something happen. Thats exactly what I have done. Knocking ideas in the form of "its been thought of, nobody ever did it, so it will never happen" simply isnt helpful.

And it is funny how quickly the feeble minded ones jump to threats once challenged.

i am simply a realist.no threats,you should just know who you ************ with. and i do.do you?

nope you don't, just an interpretation of ones semantics.of which you chose to judge whilst interjecting into something that was none of your business.

now, your detracting from another thread just like a true troll.now piss off.

i did have another idea the other day.people should actually take their rigs apart before they propose ideas.that way they are educated on the innerworkings of specific parts to be talked about.....hmmm, thats novel....and could possibly lead to progress.

the original poster was inquiring about a locker.there is none.and evidently it is people like me that never make it happen...:lol: right.....right...

you wanna get my goat kid?try to get it in person.thats all.i am a very spirited person,sorry you don;t like it, or care for it.the truth is you have no idea what i have done for this community.and probably never will .....so shut the ************ up about it....pretty simple.

cheers, b:rolleyes:

NOW, back to the task at hand.............

i am simply a realist.no threats,you should just know who you ************ with. and i do.do you?

nope you don't, just an interpretation of ones semantics.of which you chose to judge whilst interjecting into something that was none of your business.

now, your detracting from another thread just like a true troll.now piss off.

i did have another idea the other day.people should actually take their rigs apart before they propose ideas.that way they are educated on the innerworkings of specific parts to be talked about.....hmmm, thats novel....and could possibly lead to progress.

the original poster was inquiring about a locker.there is none.and evidently it is people like me that never make it happen...:lol: right.....right...

you wanna get my goat kid?try to get it in person.thats all.i am a very spirited person,sorry you don;t like it, or care for it.the truth is you have no idea what i have done for this community.and probably never will .....so shut the ************ up about it....pretty simple.

cheers, b:rolleyes:

NOW, back to the task at hand.............

Wow you are funny. Again, more threats.

All that hostility and anger.

I guess Im glad I was able to interject some more energy into this thread. Maybe you should redirect that energy into actually helping the matter at hand, instead of shooting down ideas and tossing threats around.

Now, how about you actually discuss the topic on hand?

For example, instead of just jumping up and down yelling that it isnt a new idea, why dont you tell us why it didnt pan out in the first place?

I bet your selectible hub using a locking collar had something to do with the bearing right? The rear wheel bearings pose a problem when you cannot use the axle to hold the bearings together.

So, alternative #1 is pushing to bearing setup that allows the free movement of the axle shaft. You need a sealed/unit bearing.

You could easily retrofit a unit bearing to the rear of a Subaru. And using a unit bearing + hub, depending upon which one you use, will also give you a great deal of option in the way of brakes and bolt patterns.

still no threats.not one.simply inviting you to meet someone before you judge them.if you can handle that then please do.your offended from another thread where obviously i picked on a friend of yours.and are sick of it.the thing is that i have met him personally and he bugs me.and am not afraid to say it.he should fight his own battles.and not offend poeple when he goes to there house,or be ready to take care of a deal when someone arrives at his house from hours across state to take care of something and he is not.......

here you attack me trying to discredit me.i could care less what you think.much less anyone else.i have not personally attacked you because i do not know you.however, i am not opposedd to meeting you so i can make a personality judgement in person.

if you feeel threatened by that , i would take personal inventory .

i know who i am.no need for you to take it upon yourself to tell me.i am well aware of how i treat people.i am fair until you disrespect me or my friends.and he has, so drop it.not gonna change, not gonna change at all.

now, that being said.

until you come up with a solution.

weld your ************ if you want a locker.

cheers, b

You could easily retrofit a unit bearing to the rear of a Subaru. And using a unit bearing + hub, depending upon which one you use, will also give you a great deal of option in the way of brakes and bolt patterns.

Do it, report back :rolleyes:

yeah, they did not have one for our cars back then either...cheers, b

The whole point of the Remco axle lock is that it installs midway in a stock CV shaft.

It should not be difficult to retrofit that to a subaru shaft, you could even buy one of their shafts, cut it apart, then sleeve and weld that into your subaru rear shaft. That's the whole locking assembly that you were thinking about, pre-made, tested and known to work well, in a package that gets retrofitted into existing axles. You just have to adapt it to the diameter of the subaru axle. Lot easier than machining up the whole locking mechanism from scratch. Has anyone talked to Remco? They might sell just the locking unit with no axle for a reduced price.

Locking hubs at the rear wheel has been attempted before. Someone was trying nissan 720 front hubs and brakes attached to the subaru control arm in the rear. I don't know what came of it. Edit: SJR did it in his shortwagon: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=118811

My solution was to find a clutch type LSD out of an RX. It made a big difference in snow, mud, and loose dirt. It doesn't help the flexed out one wheel in the air situations, but it made it a much more capable wheeler for most situations and I could drive it on the street without dicking with it.

Edited by WoodsWagon

hey 91loyale....i realize they could be retrofitted, at that time i called them , and they would not sell an individual unit.they stated they could not agree to sell a unit that would be used on a vehicle they do not recomend for towing.

stated that if i wanted to tow one to get a vehicle dolly (for an 86 brat)...i stressed it was not for that reason.....no go...

and it is a little more involved anyway.it's not just cutting an axle in half and welding it together.i mean , i guess it could be.but ....i would think heat treatment and such goes into it......

people get so wierd by having to take an axle out....it takes 5 minutes.

the hub idea is pretty cool in person, he did not use just the outers though...he used the knuckles with welded mounts to the subie swingarm.....which not all can do easily like scott did.

the whole ************in point is that the question has been answered,no, no one makes a locker .LSD, and Lincoln locks are the norm.

you want one, make one.

cheers, b

besides the lincoln and LSD ,the cheapest most viable option is a complete axle assembly from another vehicle.prove me wrong........

Edited by monstaru

So, you do not want or need a locker... then why are you trolling this thread again? If you have all these ideas then by all means step up and do them. Do not call out people, calling them lazy and such. If you have nothing to offer then move on out of this thread.