Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So, theoretically, why wouldn't a turbo on a carburator work?

...i wanna know what Adub was talkin about
Maybe...

"If you can't see it, how do you know it is happening?"

Does the refrigerator light stay on when the door closes? How can you tell?

I used to be a Luddite (the rest of you can look it up when you get home...) about FI, thought that carbs were the best way to go because they were simple. Part of this was seeing all of the Detroit iron with new EFI sitting dead at the side of the road after something fried there $300 :eek: ROM chip. I liked being able to look doen that carb throat an SEE the gas come out. What I didn't notice was 10 times as many Japanese imports with EFI passing by the dead 'merican car. Engineering matters...

Carbs can never give the power/economy/emissions, in whatever ratio of compomise you choose, as EFI can. Just have to get past the need to be touchy-feeley with the gas coming out. Kind of like points-ignition, too...

Corvair Spyder... 180 HP; 40 more rated HP over the 2 carb version. Engine cover has a circular turbo badge insead of the rectangular rated-HP badge.

Oldsmobile of the same era had a turbocharged (same unit as Corvair) aluminum 215 V8.

As was stated before, us makers did a lot of playing around before they new how to get turbos to work. Then, when they tried using them again, they STILL screwed them up. :-\

I used to be a Luddite (the rest of you can look it up when you get home...) about FI, thought that carbs were the best way to go because they were simple.
Dont fear what you do not understand... Or was it dont fear the reaper? :-\

Part of this was seeing all of the Detroit iron with new EFI sitting dead at the side of the road after something fried there $300 :eek: ROM chip... What I didn't notice was 10 times as many Japanese imports with EFI passing by the dead 'merican car. Engineering matters...

...As was stated before, us makers did a lot of playing around before they new how to get turbos to work. Then, when they tried using them again, they STILL screwed them up. :-\

Engineering matters... and how. A lot of the engineering done by domestic auto companies is half-***** garbage. And why you may ask... because we keep buying it.

Gary

now i of course never read the whole post thread :)

but buick had a pretty mean little turbo carbed version of the buick grand national before they went efi

infact i have the turbo and 4 barrel adapter piece from one that just takes up space in my garage

also the corvair had a turbo 6 version with carbs <did someone mention that..>

oh and maserati had a twin turbo setup that was blow thru with a weber in a big "hat" that me and baja saw at a junkyard infact i got one of the turbo pipes for my suby .. on the off chance i could make it work

in short if its done right carbed turbo's work well

but suffer alot more problems if its a draw tru setup then when the carb throttles close it has a tendancy to suck oil past the seals and into the intake

and a few other small problems

blow thru setups that enclose the carb in a big shoe box looking thing

also have problems

colappsing floats fuel pressure problems if the boost is higher than the fuel psi

if its blow thru with out hte big box around teh carb then ther is the problem of fuel/air being blown out of the throttle shaft bore's its easy to fix

anyways back to my beer so .. cheer's

Oh, I didn't see this mentioned for blow-through carbs: The carb does not properly sense the increased density of the air being forced through it. Causes severe lean-out under boost if not compensated for... hard to do with simple-stupid carburetor.
Should measure flow fine if the float chamber is properly presurised?? Look at bernoullis equation - the pressure and head terms will cancel out leaving only the velocity term, as on a venturi flow meter. Am I missing something??

Oops i am missing something - bernoullis only for incompresible flow.

Dont fear what you do not understand... Or was it dont fear the reaper? :-\
My Luddite phase ended 'round about the same time as BOC's :headbang: anthem. Been a convert a long time now. "Let me tell YOU about MY EFI..."

(That was a convert joke. Sorry if it was a little weak.)