Ultimate Subaru Message Board

9465what_r_they_for-thumb.JPG9465what_is_it-thumb.JPG

does anyone know what these are an what they do???

always wondered but never asked till now.

the items i'm wondering about is the things that look like some kind of switch,i thought it was but didn't notice it turns out the light.

as far as the things that are red,orange an clearish.i think i know what they are for ;) :-p

does anyone know what these are an what they do???

always wondered but never asked till now.

They are for keeping the tailgate in alignment/position. Even pressure around the seal, that sort of thing. Tailgate bumper stops, or something like that is what they are called. They probably don't do a lot, but if you were to remove them, I'm betting that you would notice some squeaking and squawking from the tailgate. Perhaps an uneven fit too (seam gap).

Mine are kinda rusty too, but the Rust Check annual sprayings seem to keep it in check.

You might want to look at the latch plate (under the hatch latch, on the outside, holds the license plate bulbs too). It is probably all rusty. This is, assuming a 95-99 vehicle. If you have a 94 as your name suggests, then I don't know if the set up is similar or not.

Commuter

Geez! I still gripe cuz' a few years ago they went to a 5% salt, 95% sand mixture here. Now they dribble or spray some manganese somethingrother everywhere, who knows what effect that's gonna have! :-\

yup the mixture goes as following-1 cup of sand to 10 cups salt ;)

thanks guys for the anwsers,seeing them there an not knowing was bothering me somewhat.

during the winter months,i noticed that if you don't wash your subie on a weekly base,that a dark blue car will start to look white cuz of the amount of salt they use for the streets :confused:.

They are for keeping the tailgate in alignment/position. Even pressure around the seal, that sort of thing. Tailgate bumper stops, or something like that is what they are called. They probably don't do a lot, but if you were to remove them, I'm betting that you would notice some squeaking and squawking from the tailgate. Perhaps an uneven fit too (seam gap).

I've noticed that every EAxx car I've looked at (small sampling though) has a shim on the right side one. An OOPS somewhere along the design process?

I've noticed that every EAxx car I've looked at (small sampling though) has a shim on the right side one. An OOPS somewhere along the design process?
Not an Oops. That shim is the final adjustment, is my bet. . .

Or am I being too generous?

« There's a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. » Leonard Cohen

so the saying "stick it where the sun don't shine" would be misused alot.:rolleyes: ()()

Well, it depends. A candle is a light, and lighting is setting fire to...

I would'nt want to contribute to the demise of popular wisdom. Not me. ;)