Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hey all... i just joined the group. i'm a new owner of an 03 outback sport. my last car (89 camry wagon V6) was totalled so i decided to get something i really wanted. and i've been dying for a subaru for years now...

my car came with absolutely no options or accessories... any suggestions for "must have" accessories? one thing i noticed is that there's no under-floor storage tray above the spare tire. was this standard or an option? also, the cd player seems to have a hard time with playing CD-R's. is this normal? i listen to a lot of live music, so i do a lot of cd burning, and it would really be a bummer to not be able to listen to them in the car without having to replace the stereo.

i absolutely love the new car, never knew such love for a vehicle until i started driving this one...

Welcome to the board. You'll love it even more come winter.

yeah, i actually can't wait for winter now... my last car was good, but not good enough (it had a touchy gas pedal, if you hit it just right, which wasn't hard to do, you could spin the wheels on dry pavement... and it was an automatic FWD). but they don't plow here in providence (not that we have anywhere near as much snow as you must in alaska...), so it'll be nice...

no options or accessories... any suggestions for "must have" accessories?

I think the main must have is Big Tires and a Push Bar! :lol:

Oh! Sorry, that's older generation answer.

If your looking for crap to put on your car, try the "Market Place".

There is always good deals to be had!

"Dr. Outback" (and others) usually have some dealer close outs that they are just dying to get rid of.

As for your CD-R, some older decks just don't recoginze that format. Although, I'd think an 03 would?

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--what's an option?

01 Forester--all options supplied by Dr. Outback.

If your looking for crap to put on your car, try the "Market Place".

There is always good deals to be had!

"Dr. Outback" (and others) usually have some dealer close outs that they are just dying to get rid of.

As for your CD-R, some older decks just don't recoginze that format. Although, I'd think an 03 would?

I checked it out. there didn't seem to be anything for newer cars that i noticed. i found the instructions for the roof rack cross bars (which are still there) and a cargo bin (which is not there). the original owner also seemed to have taken the floor mats (which supposedly came standard). the dealership i bought it from gave me front rubber mats for nothing though, that was pretty nice of them.

as for the cd player... the book says it will do some cd-r's but not others. i was thinking about trying to upgrade it, but everything i saw on crutchfield is too space-age and doesn't fit the look of the car. i'm thinking about trying to get one of hte in-dash 6-disc changers. i'll check the marketplace again...

I checked it out. there didn't seem to be anything for newer cars that i noticed. i found the instructions for the roof rack cross bars (which are still there) and a cargo bin (which is not there). the original owner also seemed to have taken the floor mats (which supposedly came standard). the dealership i bought it from gave me front rubber mats for nothing though, that was pretty nice of them.

as for the cd player... the book says it will do some cd-r's but not others. i was thinking about trying to upgrade it, but everything i saw on crutchfield is too space-age and doesn't fit the look of the car. i'm thinking about trying to get one of hte in-dash 6-disc changers. i'll check the marketplace again...

If you finalise the CD-R then it should look to your player like an ordinary CD. I know the CD head on my '92 Legacy wagon is in need of adjustment (it will skip at the drop of a hat, and many "production" CD's will not work, while CD-R copies of them work fine). if you are burning in CDDA format (Compact Disk Digital Audio) and finalising, there should be no problems at all. Most CD players will not play MP3 format CDs, if that is what you are trying. . .

If you finalise the CD-R then it should look to your player like an ordinary CD. I know the CD head on my '92 Legacy wagon is in need of adjustment (it will skip at the drop of a hat, and many "production" CD's will not work, while CD-R copies of them work fine). if you are burning in CDDA format (Compact Disk Digital Audio) and finalising, there should be no problems at all. Most CD players will not play MP3 format CDs, if that is what you are trying. . .

i've decided it could be one of 2 things... either the player doesn't like cd-r's (possible, hopefully not likely) or the player doesn't like the neato label i used on the disc. my production cd's work fine. i have yet to try a non-labelled disc. but all my cd's are finalized and they are all cd audio (not mp3/flac/ogg/insert audio format here). i prefer to keep the factory stereo since it's got the simple looks i prefer, but if i can't play any of my burned cd's, then i will be left with little choice. half my music collection is burned cd's because it's all recorded concerts.