Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi all

Have noticed lately that when moving my car a short distance, and parking, the revs stay high and take a few seconds to dip below 1000rpm when clutch and brakes are pressed.ie when turning to reverse into a parking space. any ideas is it timing belt?

Hi all

Have noticed lately that when moving my car a short distance, and parking, the revs stay high and take a few seconds to dip below 1000rpm when clutch and brakes are pressed.ie when turning to reverse into a parking space. any ideas is it timing belt?

my 94 does the same thing,gonna see my mech friend tomorrow to put in another window.will ask him again what it is caused from.he told me once but i forgot.as soon as i know i'll post again unless someone else here knows.

I have the same problem with my 2000 Legacy GT

Hi all

Maybe I'm misreading the description you give of the "symptoms", but my car does the same from day one and I've always seen that as normal. If by "driving a short distance and parking", you mean starting the engine from cold and driving a short distance, then it's normal. The ECU sends a richer mixture at startup (equivalent of the ancient "choke" )and the revs stay higher during this time till the engine has had a chance to warm up.

Pardon me if I got your problem wrong.

Good luck!

Car wouldn't always be cold when moving it but revs stay high for a second. Can't remember if its always been that way, just really noticed it over last few months.

I reckon this is because when one thing goes wrong and needs to be replaced or fixed you listen to engine more afterwards as your level of confidence begins to drop. This never happened with any other car I drove. Thanks for help lets know what mech says.