Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How to open my dashboard on a 93 legacy

I want to know how to open the dashboard so i can change the lights on the odometer some lights like check engine and the climate control lights are dead including the radio ones.

But the speed odometer is still lit just some off the lights like for the seat belts and etc are out

Remove the black trim piece that surrounds the instrument cluster. It has the 2 vents above the radio in it and is about 30" long. Then theres 4 screws holding the cluster to the car and the speedo cable will need to be disconnected. from there you can see what you need to unplug once you pull it toward you away from the dashboard. Helps to put the tilt steering all the way down before you start.

Actually, it is easier if you take off the trim panel below the column, and the 12mm bolts that hold the column up, then remove the radio trim bezel (there are two screws there that hold part of that black trim in place). Then there are two screws that hold the trim panel to the HVAC control, then two on the top of the "dome" over the cluster. Now you are ready to pull out the mirror control switch and the rear defrost/cruise control switch panels (one screw behind eack of these) there is also a panel on the right side of where the column was that hides a screw. now the black trim panel comes off easily (it is a lot harder sounding than it really is) and you can get to the 4 screws that hold the instrument cluster in place. Remove them and pull gently until the speedo cable comes loose, then disconnect the wiring harnesses from both sides. Now you wil have the instrument cluster in your hands, and can get to the bulbs easily on the back. Check each for continuity, so you know which ones to replace. I have several spares of each size (let's call them large, med, and small). PM me if you need me to send you some. . .