Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

factory oil cooler pics please?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:15 PM

Hi again.. I'm going to put an EA81T oil cooler on Skeet's car soon and I'd like some pictures or descriptions of how the EA81T oil cooler mounts on those cars please? I can come up with some brackets of some kind as I don't anticipate it will fit Skeet's EA82 car like it was made to.

I was planning on installing the OC right in front of the AC condenser at the bottom but it doesn't look "comfortable" .. vertically is sort of out because the bumper is in the way and would block most of the OC anyway.. so maybe I'll tuck it behind the grille, but I'll take other ideas too..

this is a sandwich style OC that runs lines to a sepatate radiator about 3"x9". thanks!

#2 MorganM

MorganM

Do you Subaru?

• Members
  • 8,390 posts
  • TwinCities

Posted 05 September 2003 - 12:52 PM

I dont mean to hi-jack your thread here but my questions are revelant to your topic so I didnt feel it was necessary to make an ew thread :)

What size / type of hose should be used when plumbing in Oil Coolers? Also what kind of clamps can hold the pressure properly?

Thx :D

#3 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 05 September 2003 - 01:23 PM

Ran from the end of the oil pump to the drivers side of the radiator and between it and the front bumper they bolted the oil cooler. ITs hooked to the headlight cage basically on the drivers side.

I dont have one that is mounted in the car right now but I do have one hanging on the garage wall that I could take a picture of (factory oil cooler).

Shawn

#4 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 05 September 2003 - 05:06 PM

hey Morgan, welcome in. i think that high pressure oil hose is available for this, and i've been advised to double clamp each end.

hi Shawn.. thanks anyway but I have two :P
Is the EA81 filter on the driver's side of the engine? I can't remember since I've not owned one yet. Also, is the turbo on the passenger's side of an EA81T?
thanks

#5 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 05 September 2003 - 06:17 PM

OH MAN
dont use the little clamps, i had one come loose the other day. good thing i watch my guages like a paranoid meth addict:D .
i am using the huge ones that are for hydrolic lines. 3/8s is good for this. my kit came with someting slightly bigger.

how bout putting it where the spare goes? and cutting a hole in the hood with a fan, or in an inner fender well(sounds scary, but mitsubishis put their intercoolers there).

#6 baccaruda

baccaruda

YOUR FAVORITE MOD

• 6,942 posts
  • SpoVegas, WA

Posted 05 September 2003 - 10:14 PM

yeah, little clamps are bad. there are heavier duty clamps available that i should have mentioned as well.

I want to keep it somewhat stock so the overall circuit is smaller. less oil in the system and easier on the oil pump, i'd think. thanks though

#7 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 06 September 2003 - 01:54 AM

I've got an oil cooler on my ER27, useing the EA81T piece. It jes bolts onto the pump with a large bolt, pretty simple, and works on EA series engines. I've got tranny cooler hose for mine, and have had no problems with it. As long as the cooler is in good airflow, and doesn't block anything else, it should really be fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users