Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rattle coming from the tongue that touches to the clutch cylinder!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 98legacywv

98legacywv

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Centreville

Posted 29 April 2005 - 10:43 AM

My car is now making a wierd rattling noise where the clutch cylinder pushes the rod against the tongue (for lack of better word) that comes out of the transmission. Since the car is a hydraulic clutch is it just and adjustment? or am i headed for more problems.. as if i havent had enough with this car already..

#2 Gnuman

Gnuman

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,399 posts
  • Richmond, CA

Posted 29 April 2005 - 12:43 PM

My car is now making a wierd rattling noise where the clutch cylinder pushes the rod against the tongue (for lack of better word) that comes out of the transmission. Since the car is a hydraulic clutch is it just and adjustment? or am i headed for more problems.. as if i havent had enough with this car already..

fork is a better word. . . that "tounge" is the clutch release fork, and really should not be rattling. Is there a good level of fluid in the resivior? has the cluch been slipping at all? Is there residue from a possable fluid leak in the area?

#3 MDW25gt

MDW25gt

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:03 AM

I had the same problem. turned out it was the slave cylinder. easy to change and costs about $75. (2) bolts and the hose, then bleed the system. Seems the spring gets lazy or the cylinder bore gets fouled. this inhibits the piston from maintaining contact with the fork.

#4 98legacywv

98legacywv

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Centreville

Posted 02 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

there are no signs of leaking.. my clutch doesnt slip but you dont have to push very far on the pedal before it does... i think it worn but not worn out.. i figured it was a problem with the slave cylinder or the fork itself because the rubber or plastic grommet around the fork entrance to the tranny is kinda of old and in bad shape.

#5 Scottbaru

Scottbaru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Holland

Posted 02 May 2005 - 11:03 AM

<snip>the rubber or plastic grommet around the fork entrance to the tranny is kinda of old and in bad shape.

Mine too, I've asked before if there's a source for new ones. I fear if I leave that hole open, salty road slush will find it's way in there.

#6 Al_SemC

Al_SemC

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • Rochester

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

Check the play between the fork and the slave piston. It should be 1/8"-5/32", according to my book here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users