Ultimate Subaru Message Board

15 gallons in a 12 gallon tank?

I gassed up yesterday. $37. 15 gallons. How big is the gas tank in a 96 2.2l subaru legacy L sedan?

no idea on the 96 legacy, but my 03 outback sport has a 15.9 gallon tank. i was shocked when i found out it was so big. i think the tank on my 89 V6 camry wagon was a little smaller than that (but probably close). so i'd imagine you've got a 15 gallon tank or bigger...

I gassed up yesterday. $37. 15 gallons. How big is the gas tank in a 96 2.2l subaru legacy L sedan?

Not sure, but the last time that I let my tank go about dry, it shocked me to see 15 gals go into my 98 Leg OB tank. I thought that my 97 only held 13 because it only took that much after the empty warning light went on for a while. By the end of the summer, they predict that the price of gas will double the value of the average car with every fill up. :)

I don't know for sure. My 97 Leg OB seemed to hold 13 as I let it go empty for a while on a couple occasions. My identical 98 holds 15gals, I was surprised to find out after running on vapors. This might account for the reason I get more miles/tankful, but Not per gal. They predict that the price of gas by the end of summer will double the value of the average car with every fill up :).

Edit PS: Sorry, my screen blanked out when I first posted. Didn't think it took.

I don't know for sure. My 97 Leg OB seemed to hold 13 as I let it go empty for a while on a couple occasions. My identical 98 holds 15gals, I was surprised to find out after running on vapors. This might account for the reason I get more miles/tankful, but Not per gal. They predict that the price of gas by the end of summer will double the value of the average car with every fill up :).

i'm glad i got the new car when i did... it'll get better mileage than the old camry (which is gone anyways). the price of gas is ridiculous...

15.8 Gallons or 60 liters for sure

what?? I have a sedan though. the light comes on after ~11g and the dial goes past E after that.

OMG-http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?modelid=2629&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=1

I had no idea... 15.9 gallons??? I'm getting horrible mileage. 18 MPG city. I probably should have looked it up before taking it up with the gas station attendant.

15.8 Gallons or 60 liters for sure

Found my owners manaul :grin:

2.5L models:

Fuel Tank = 15.9 US gal / 60 liter / 13.2 Imp gal

Engine Oil = 4.7 US qt / 4.5 liter / 3.9 Imp qt

Transmission Oil = 3.7 US qt / 3.5 liter / 3.1 Imp qt

ATF = 10 US qt / 9.5 liter / 8.4 Imp qt

AT Diff Gear Oil = 1.3 US qt / 1.2 liter / 1.1 Imp qt

AWD Rear Diff Gear Oil = 0.8 US qt / 0/8 liter / 0.7 Imp qt

Power Steering Fluid = 0.7 US qt / 0.7 liter / 0.6 Imp qt

Engine Coolant = 6.3 US qt / 6.0 liter / 5.3 Imp qt

2.2L models:

Fuel: Same as above.

Engine Oil = 4.2 US qt / 4.0 liter / 3.5 Imp qt

Transmission Oil = (AWD same as above) FWD = 3.5 US qt / 3.3 liter / 2.9 Imp qt

ATF = 8.3 US qt / 7.9 liter / 7.0 Imp qt

AT Diff Gear Oil = Same as above.

AWD Rear Diff Gear Oil = Same as above.

Power Steering Fluid = Same as above.

Engine Coolant = 6.2 US qt / 5.8 liter / 5.2 Imp qt

what?? I have a sedan though. the light comes on after ~11g and the dial goes past E after that.

OMG-http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/spec_engines.aspx?modelid=2629&trimid=-1&src=VIP&tab=2&sub=1

I had no idea... 15.9 gallons??? I'm getting horrible mileage. 18 MPG city. I probably should have looked it up before taking it up with the gas station attendant.

Yeah, my 2.2 wagon got 20mpg on my last tankful. That's depressing. I think I'm going to try a tankful of driving on 55 mph highways and see if staying off the interstate (and thus away from 70-75mph driving) will make much of a difference.

My needle moves so slow between F and the halfway mark and then dips to E from the halfway mark in about 50 miles. I've run the car past the E for many miles before, so I don't put too much faith in the gas gauge in my car.

my 94 legacy gt holds 15.9

the other week i tried figureing out my mpg.i really hope i did it wrong cuz i came up with like 11mpg :-\

now hows it go-you fill up the tank,reset trip meter,next time you fill up again divide how many miles you've traveled since first fill by how many gallons it takes to fill up again. right???

if so then i screwed it up by misunderstanding how to do it.:banghead:

Yeah, my 2.2 wagon got 20mpg on my last tankful. That's depressing. I think I'm going to try a tankful of driving on 55 mph highways and see if staying off the interstate (and thus away from 70-75mph driving) will make much of a difference.

My needle moves so slow between F and the halfway mark and then dips to E from the halfway mark in about 50 miles. I've run the car past the E for many miles before, so I don't put too much faith in the gas gauge in my car.

20MPG sucks. That doesn't make sense on the highway. Maybe you need a tune up or something... Check tires... O2 sensor.. I don't know, look at me.