Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tool Sizes for ... ?

Took the day off and need to run alot of errands. The tool store is on my TO-GO list! Need to know what size socket I need for the stub axle castle nut on a 1988 GL wgn. Would also like to get the right size/type of punch to remove DOC/CV pin.

I would also like to plead for your trade secrets on the quickest and most efficient way to change an axle assembly. If you do not wish to divulge such detals; I completly understand :)

Thank you.

wow Quick response, thx!

Is there a difference in size between 2WD and 4WD ? I have all 2WD stuff on right now. Will be putting in the 4WD rear end tomarrow night so then I'll have 2WD / 4WD untill I get the 5speed DR in.

Do the 2WD inner CVs hook upto the 4WD DR transmission? Or will I be needing to swap in 2 more 4WD front axle assemblies?

Thx

I'm about to do the same albeit I'm not converting from 2wd to 4wd. I've got to change the front axle. Do yall recommend impact (air tools) for removal? I'd rather not buy a regular socket and not be able to remove it.

To reiterate one questions. What's the recommended punch size? Are there any other tools needed?

All suggestions are welcome.

Jason

I think EA82 2WD axles are indeed different than the 4WD ones. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Also - check this thread for axle removal / installation:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2576&highlight=axle+removal

And try out the search feature next time as you may have run across this on your own, and saved yourself some time.

GD

2wd axles might be a little less beefy...dunno for sure. only differences I was aware of for sure is in the spline count between turbo and non axle ends.

Drawing the axle into the hub has been a pita for me before. Have some plastic ABS or PVC pipe handy to cut into spacers to place behind the axle washer and nut if needed. I have had the whole knuckle off before w/ the axle just started... and WWF'd the face of the knuckle on the garage floor w/ axle in hands to get it seated good.. prolly lucky I didn't break anything though

The nut size varies depending on wether or not it is a OEM new or rebuilt axle or an aftermarket axle. 36mm for standard and 32mm for the other. The punch needs to be a 3/16ths. The difference between 2wd and 4WD axles is the size of the shaft. 2wd axels are thinner than 4WD axles.

Great info guys, thanks alot.

GeneralDisorder: Search is great; and your right I should have used it for the "how too" question but there wasnt a big consensus on what size the nut was and no mention of the punch size.

Off to the parts store again! :D