Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Helicoil Thread sticking out of hole

Marck

I would like to get this thing put back together tomorrow. What will I have to do to get this thing fixed? Do I need to get a new helicoil? Where can I pick up a Helicoil kit and how much are they? I would like to do this as cheap as possible because the head I am fixing is cracked. I just need to get this car running for a few more months so that I have time to look for a new used car.

2 ways I might try that- 1, spreading needle nose er something in it (shim? wedge?) and trying to turn it in till its counter sunk- then maybe follow it w/ another coil w/ the heli tool? Maybe put the flat blade of a screwdriver perpendicular to the end of the wire and tapping it to see if it would move in?

Or try to remove it (maybe same way) clean the threads out, oil em up light and put a brand new one or two in w/ the heli tool..

*never had the problem*

Good luck though!

With the tang broken your not going to get it any deeper.

I've replaced them by grabbing the part that is sticking out with

needle nose pliers or vise grips, depending on size of helicol, and pulling straight up. Helicoil will stretch and come out of hole, hole will need to be re-tapped and new helicoil inserted with tool.

If most of the helicoil is in the hole and only a small amount is sticking out and you need to do a "quick fix" just file or grind off flush to surface.

Tom

your best bet would be to tap it out with courser threads. its lot cheaper than helicoul, and holds better too.

get ahold of tomrhere on the board, he will tell you the details. if you search, he has posted how to do it acouple of times.

something about a 7/16" (14 threads per inch) search for that