Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Thanks Kevin ...I don't know why, but I thought the RS was larger than 13mm.

Maybe you can help steer me in the right direction. I'd like to increase the stock 13mm stock rear bar on my '00 OBS to something just a little meatier, but all the aftermarket solutions are 19mm and larger with the urethane bushings. That would end up being way too much "emergency handling fun" for this particular car. I also want to retain the stock squishy bushing and end-link setup. I've been through the hard, sqeaky, perpetually-greaseable, bushing/endlink thing before on my other Impreza and it's not the pothole panacea it's made out to be. :rolleyes::lol:

Any idea what stock bar in the 15-17mm size range would swap onto to my car? It's not a cost-savings issue, but rather a specific handling goal.

Check to see if Whiteline has an adjustable model for your vehicle.

If you still want to consider an aftermarket endlink, try the Hairpin Racing one. I was leary of all the aftermarket ones (for noise reasons) until I saw some good reviews on this one. I've had them on for ~3 years now. Not a peep out of them. Good pricing too.

Commuter

I personally upgraded from the 13mm to a 18mm on my Impreza sedan in 2000 I believe. It was an actual bar from FHI and it came with bushings that fit in the stock brackets. Check out this page (excellent vendor by the way) for suspension and handling options. Everything will fit your OBS unless it says it wont. Sounds like you want to stay stock, so stay with the SOA/FHI 18mm bar which is available from the above link and/or your dealer. Other than that, you really have no other options.

Good luck with it!

Kevin

Does anyone know the diameter of the first-gen Impreza RS (GC8) rear swaybar?

15mm or something like that?

13 or 17?. Here's 13, 18, and 20 together. The 18 from a 96 Japanese WRX, and the 20 from an 03 US WRX.

Worlds of difference beween the three.

I just gave the 18 back to the guy I was gonna buy it from and put the 20 back into the L. Now the L is happy again. Me too.

142greatness.jpg

Thanks everyone.

I did a little poking around and it turns out that the WRX wagon (GG) comes with a 17mm rear bar (I knew there was one Impreza model that had a rear bar in that size range). :headbang:

Anyone have a favorite place to pick up a new part for like ...not too expensive?

Way to go Subie Gal! Nice price too. :banana:

Seems like the Outback Sport combination of jacked-up ride height & added wagon rear inertia makes for more "tail-out" attitude with a given size rear bar than with the equivalent mounted to an RS chassis. Ironically this thing is almost neutral at speed with the 13mm, but it plows at lower speeds.

One question: What bushing material is included with the kit?

In the northwest, Subies precipitate from the sky into into salvage yards, but in Michigan they're far and few between.

$79 for a brand-new FHI bar (W/fresh factory rubber bushings) is more than equivalent to two hours of wasted time searching for a rusted-out bargain. (time is worth more than inflated fiat paper).

Plus, Subie Gal is a babe ...wow, I'm in love! XOXOXO :)