Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy with the EJ-22 engine & standard transmission.

Recently the negative battery cable connector at the battery cracked so I cut off the connector and replaced with an after market type bolt on clamp style connector. Drove the vehicle for about 20 miles with no problems - after letting the vehicle sit for several hours it started up and idle'd just fine but after it warmed up the engine immediately stalls when you let off the gas.

Does not matter at what speed or rpm the engine is at. As soon as you let off the gas the rpm's immediately drop to 0. I've checked the timing of the camshafts to crank - thought maybe the timing belt slipped - checks good. All

fuses check good. No vacuum leaks noted.

Any ideas??

I got the same problem going on in my 94 Legacy. I would pull the Codes and look for some sort of sensor code. Otherwise, does it start fine after it dies?

It starts but the engine surges at idle - from 200 rpm to 800 rpm. I've noticed the problem is intermittent. One time it runs fine, the next time I start it she stalls. Can you tell me where to plug in the code reader? Or is there a couple of pins on a cannon plug that you short togeather to read the flashing check eng light?

It starts but the engine surges at idle - from 200 rpm to 800 rpm. I've noticed the problem is intermittent. One time it runs fine, the next time I start it she stalls. Can you tell me where to plug in the code reader? Or is there a couple of pins on a cannon plug that you short togeather to read the flashing check eng light?

You can learn how to read your engine's codes on Legacy 777 page (is a moderator here)

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru

Go to "Notes and Tips" and "Engine related"

check ALL of your vacuum tubes...perhaps you knocked one out when working ...especially the tubes on your intake etc

forgot to hook one up when i was working on something....car idled fine...hit the gas...engine died...smoke came out:brow:

found the hose hooked it up...no problem....

Perhaps a sensor..??