Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 rev limiter?

Ok, I just got my 84 turbo wagon running/5speed conversion and low mileage motor.

Here's whats going on, Every time the tach reaches about 4800 rpm the motor starts cutting out then around 5200 rpm it cuts out completely untill i shift and the tach drops, Does it in every gear.

When the tach hits 4800 rpm a warning beep's and the tach lights up red just about the time it cuts out.

Does the EA81 have a rev limiter?

Or could this be due to the fact that the spark plugs are dirty as hell and the air filter is plugged?

The ecu light works for a second after starting the car and goes off, But doesn't come on at all when i drive it or after the the motor cuts out.

If it does have a rev limter, Can it be removed?, Also i am removing the digital dash and putting in one from my dead 81 wagon, Hate the digi dash!

Im new to FI and Turbo, only had carbed before this guy.

Thanks for any help in advance.

~CHIM~

Horay! Another EA81T owner, welcome to the club! Regarding your question about the rev limiter, there isn't one. I am suprised that your shift light and buzzer seem to be coming on early as mine don't activate until the redline at 5,500rpm. The ECU light is supposed to come on when you start the car and if there aren't any problems with the system it is supposed to shut off again. I would replace your filter, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and then see if there is a difference. If these little tune up items haven't been replaced for a while you will notice a difference. As for the dashboard, good luck. I don't think anyone has sucsessfully converted a Digital Dash to the conventional type yet. If you still want to try changing it, I have an analog turbo gauge cluster if you'd be interested and I can try to scan the pin outs for the analog and digial dashes so you can get them to work together. On a side note, LETS SEE SOME PICS!

AAAHHH!!!:banghead:

Somthing i forgot to do, I didn't transfer my timing marks from my EA81 flywheel to EA82, next thought, Could my problem be timing?

Would it cut out completly if the timing is just a little off?

Also, the motor doesn't seem to have this problem when revving it in nuetral.

Is there a way to transfer the timing marks after the tranny is allready in?

~CHIM~