Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Early model air conditioning

So hey all, I got a question for the experts out there. I have a 78 brat with all the bells and whistles that were available in that year... and much to my suprise, air conditioning!? Its kindof scary, all the hoses look like they arent meant to handle a lot of pressure, and it uses regular worm gear clamps. Unfortunately it looks like the condenser and compressor are missing, but Its still got some of the hosing, the little tank thingy, and the evaporator that is taking up space in my glove box... it even says "subaru air conditioning" on it. Well, to be honest.. I dont want the air conditioning so I was thinking about removing it.

How common was it to have air conditioning on a gen 1? when I got the truck and saw it in the engine bay when I was pulling the engine, it was the first I had ever heard of any subaru that old having it. next question... does anyone want it?

No Gen 1 came to America with factory AC. It was added state side, with a few different systems that were SUBARU "sanctioned".

One was the mini York system. It was the big square compressor.

One was the Sanden 507 system. Rotary compressor.

Many systems were made by Lone star air. Most Gen 1s in southern climates had the AC installed. I have run across very few in TX that did not have AC.

How many miles on your BRAT? I might be interested in the evaporator. Do you have a pic of it?

Todd

No Gen 1 came to America with factory AC. It was added state side, with a few different systems that were SUBARU "sanctioned".

One was the mini York system. It was the big square compressor.

One was the Sanden 507 system. Rotary compressor.

Many systems were made by Lone star air. Most Gen 1s in southern climates had the AC installed. I have run across very few in TX that did not have AC.

How many miles on your BRAT? I might be interested in the evaporator. Do you have a pic of it?

Todd

I guess I have the mini York system. with the big square compressor,

I though it was factory.

Mine works but it makes a loud grinding noise like the bearing is out, I just removed the belt and it is just sitting there.

I would love to remove it but do not know how too.

Brad