Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Early model air conditioning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 RenaissanceMan

RenaissanceMan

Sick in the Head 4 Subaru

• Members
  • 706 posts
  • Atascadero

Posted 01 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

So hey all, I got a question for the experts out there. I have a 78 brat with all the bells and whistles that were available in that year... and much to my suprise, air conditioning!? Its kindof scary, all the hoses look like they arent meant to handle a lot of pressure, and it uses regular worm gear clamps. Unfortunately it looks like the condenser and compressor are missing, but Its still got some of the hosing, the little tank thingy, and the evaporator that is taking up space in my glove box... it even says "subaru air conditioning" on it. Well, to be honest.. I dont want the air conditioning so I was thinking about removing it.

How common was it to have air conditioning on a gen 1? when I got the truck and saw it in the engine bay when I was pulling the engine, it was the first I had ever heard of any subaru that old having it. next question... does anyone want it?

#2 SUBARU3

SUBARU3

• 2,715 posts
  • Dallas, Ft. Worth, Texas

Posted 01 May 2005 - 02:24 AM

No Gen 1 came to America with factory AC. It was added state side, with a few different systems that were SUBARU "sanctioned".

One was the mini York system. It was the big square compressor.
One was the Sanden 507 system. Rotary compressor.

Many systems were made by Lone star air. Most Gen 1s in southern climates had the AC installed. I have run across very few in TX that did not have AC.

How many miles on your BRAT? I might be interested in the evaporator. Do you have a pic of it?

Todd

#3 WagonsOnly

WagonsOnly

Now only WagonsMostly.

• Members
  • 1,475 posts
  • North Central CT

Posted 01 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

Both my Gen 1s ('75 DL wagon and '73 DL wagon) have air. Supposedly the air in the '73 still works, I guess I'll find out when I pick it up.

#4 kingwill

kingwill

Did I break that?

• Members
  • 250 posts
  • Sherwood

Posted 09 May 2005 - 03:04 PM

No Gen 1 came to America with factory AC. It was added state side, with a few different systems that were SUBARU "sanctioned".

One was the mini York system. It was the big square compressor.
One was the Sanden 507 system. Rotary compressor.

Many systems were made by Lone star air. Most Gen 1s in southern climates had the AC installed. I have run across very few in TX that did not have AC.

How many miles on your BRAT? I might be interested in the evaporator. Do you have a pic of it?

Todd

I guess I have the mini York system. with the big square compressor,
I though it was factory.
Mine works but it makes a loud grinding noise like the bearing is out, I just removed the belt and it is just sitting there.
I would love to remove it but do not know how too.

Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users