Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm so happy I could cry (but I won't)

Well, I sold the Impreza. I wasn't quite happy with the 1.8 front wheel drive. Granted she had her moments, but I need something more my speed and I struck gold or should I say Black over Pearl.

I'm the proud new momma of a 1992 SVX LS-L! She'll be coming home Friday I can't wait!!!! I am now complete.

Just had to share my happiness!!!

She's home! She's gorgeous! She's an SVX!

Now that she's where she belongs it's time to get my 3door & XT6 feeling good. 3door is just a minor muffler thing (I'll install the RX kit at some point)...no biggy and I got my shopping list ready for Liberty and Shelb's $1 engine will be redone and plopped into her (Kaminari kit to be installed when she's ready for her paint job).

Life is Subarific and I've got perma-smile :grin:

Smiles,

Melis

• 2 years later...

Wow...2005 came and went, Peej hung in there.

She sat on the back burner while all the other girls got their fixers and beauty treatments, but as of 9/2007 Peej was brought to the front and is 100% legal. When I got her, her front diff was blown (big chunks missing from the gear) so that was swapped out for a good one. She got registered/insured/inspected/emissioned and took her on a road trip to CT to see Bucky92 and she was wonderful. 2 weeks later I couldn't figure out why she was slipping bad, but there was no drips or smoke. Crazy right? Well, what was happening was the tranny fluid was draining into the front diff (hence no smoke/drips) so I had her towed down to Pottsville again and got some seals ordered. On a Sunday we got the tranny pulled and the old FD seals scraped and replaced.. on Monday (Hocrest & I) got everything back together. I had to jet so he buttoned her up and made sure all was great. Last weekend the SVX board was having a Pumpkin carver meeting Cumberland, MD. I thought it would be nice to stretch her legs and (knocking on wood) there has not been any problems! I'm still happy as a kid in a candy store. Anyway, I thought I'd update this and plop a PIC of her. (I got HIDs installed for my bday and I've never seen better at night (<you can purchase them from svxfiles on www.subaru-svx.net>)

post-654-136027625734_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Guess what! Front Diff bit it

Feb. 12th

Here's the thing...

the only noises I ever heard were from the brake squealer <this was fixed on Friday>. I'd say about Saturday night Sunday morning, but this strange noise is emminating from the engine bay...sounds like it's more towards the firewall and coming through the vents in the dash. The sound only happens when the gas pedal is pressed. Doesn't have to be a hard push, just as soon as you give it an eeny bit of pressure this noise starts and as you press harder it gets louder. It sounds like I have a tiny woman in my engine bay rolling her Rs.

I have no idea where or what to start looking looking for. Anyone experience this? Anything I should start looking for? Now mind you, I worked on my XT6 most of my Subaru life, so when it comes to this engine you need to treat me like I'm in 2nd grade with ADHD.

This is my daily driver and I would like to nip this asap. Thanks in advance.

edit: Not sure if it means anything, but this noise does not go away by turning on/off anything from heat all the way to the radio.

Hours later

Okay...today I tried to record the sound, but it didn't work out like I had hoped.

I ran up to my flat spot today (I live on a hill) and checked the FD fluid and it is at the full level. All fluids are at the full level.

I popped the hood and played with the throttle trying to reproduce the sound, but to no avail. It only happens when the car is in drive. I tried it in all the other gears and nothing. I tried it in neutral while going down the road and nothing. It starts around the 1500RPM mark. It does not go away, it just progresses louder.

I plan on heading to Hocrest's tomorrow after I drop the kids off at school because he has all the cool stuff and I need to change her oil so until then I can not check under the car for anything retarded.

If this was my XT6 I'd have no problem sliding under there and poking around...never thought these cars were this low to the ground.

1 drama free day would make me a happy girl

Feb. 14th

update:

Today was a gorgeus 32 degrees and sunny. Perfect for checking things out. Got her to Hocrest's (already had the ramps set...what a man) and I wanted him to hear the sound so it is proof that I'm not just imagining things. He jacked up all corners and had me "drive" the car. I got her to reproduce the sound. Shut the car off, took her off the jacks, drained the FD and on the plug was little shards of metal. Not a pretty sight, but I expect this sort of thing from this particular car. He called someone and handed over Princess keys.

I now know what the sound is before the dreaded diff fail. Anyway, tomorrow is income tax day and Tommy at AWD has a SUS tranny for me. I have the other 4.44 part needed so it seems like it was meant to be. I'll update as soon as things get moving along.

Happy Valentines Day to those lovers out there

Happy Singles Day to the rest

• 2 weeks later...

I've been without AWD for a while now and the front diff started going. I figured why find another SVX trans just to have to replace it shortly down the road anyway. I bought a SUS 4.44 with 140XXX on the clock from AWD and had it installed today. Let me just say I have never been more happy with a vehicle then I am now. She's like a totally other animal.

On the way to Jersey I was scared because we got lots of snow and she rode sloppy. On the way home tonight it was slushy and icy, but with the awd back she was awesome and the torque, all I can say is wow.

• 10 months later...

Another update:

About a month ago I went autoXing at the Pumpkin Carve in MD. A few days later I developed a whirring kind of sound and had it diagnosed as the front diff was heading out the door again so I trekked her to Jersey and let AWD have their way with her...

Hocrest and I went down over the weekend with hopes of bringing her home, but there was just something not right...

You can see it all here...

Too much torque