Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!
|Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.
We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!
Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!
Auto dimming mirror
Posted 02 May 2005 - 03:13 PM
Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:40 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:04 AM
1. Did you hook up the auto off in backup wire? If so where?
2. Did you just draw power from the map light or sunroof? I have both what would you recomend?
3. Where would you recommend looking for one? I want to stay subaru.
Thanks very much Charlie
Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:12 AM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:12 AM
1. I hooked the dimmer disable up to a wire behind the passenger side kick panel. I probed around with the multimeter until I found a wire which supplied 12 vdc when the tranny was put in reverse then used a vampire tap for the connection.
2. I extended and ran power and ground across the headliner and down the a-pillar to the driver's kick. I put a fuse inline of the power wire.
3. As Nipper said, Ebay is where I got mine for 35$. It happened to be out of an '03 Outback but it is not produced by Subaru. The only benefit I can see by getting one from a Suby is that the harness might be plug and play if your putting it in a suby that originally had one. If you have to wire it up like I did then any donnley unit will work. I now wish that I would have gotten one that displayed temparature as well. http://www.cipausa.com/ is a good place for info. They have all the manuals for the various models under "customer service". Things to look for if your getting one used from Ebay: Wiring pigtail, windshield button.
Posted 25 November 2005 - 12:00 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:05 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:41 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:02 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:11 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:23 PM
Posted 25 November 2005 - 11:19 PM
Posted 30 December 2005 - 10:37 PM
First of all I love having it. They make such a differece in a small car with so many trucks on the road.
For the power to the unit, the sun roof turned out to be no go. When I connected both power and ground, the mirror fired up as did the sun roof motor. I did use the screw that holds up the map light/sunroof switches for the ground point.
Instead I ran the power wire across the front of the head liner and tapped into the wiring for the vanity mirror in the visor.
I chose not to use the backup disable feature for now, i may connect it this summer.
I am very happy with the mod and the best part of it is that this mod can be completed without lifting your butt out of the drivers seat. OK, maybe I had to lean forward to put the button for the mirror on the windshield, but the wiring was all done from the drivers seat. How easy is that?
Hope this helps anyone in the future.
Clifnotes: Do not try use the sunroof power for accessories.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users