Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Coolant leak?

well, another problem reared its ugly head this morning...when i was attempting to replace the o2 sensor i noticed green drops a drippin'...and by the time i figured out i wasnt going to be able to replace the sensor i had a pretty decent size puddle...checked the reservoir and poof!! nothing there...so filled that up half and half...question is, where i always park the car i have a piece of cardboard for the subie leaks...the cardboard is dry...so, does that mean it only leaks when the engine is running? if so, why? and now what is wrong? i assume its a leaking water pump....

Watch out for those assumptions! :grin:

A leaking water pump is easy to tell on your car, as the weap hole (where the cololant would weap out of the waterpump) is on the top of the waterpump shaft housing. So, if you stare past your AC compressor pulley and look just behind the waterpump pulley, you should see a hole (6-8mm???). Leaking antifreeze will leave a definite trail. I guess the gasket could be bad, but then, any of your gaskets and nose connections could have a problem.

The "only leaks when running" could mean that it only leaks when the system pressurizes. No matter when it leaks, though, it should drip on your cardboard, as it takes some time after you shut off for the last drops to work their way down.

Don't know... is there a coolant track around your waterpump weep hole? (I suddenly remembered how to spell weep :-\ )

Big guesses for leaks are any water hose, the thermostat gasket, and the intake manifold gasket. You have it easier than I do, as the turbo/MFPI have hoses all over the place. I have spent months trying to track down leaks on my wife's car (I can't just tear it apart and fix all possibilities, as it can't be "down" for more than 4-6 hours during the day).

And all leaks seem to end up on the crossmember and the exhaust pipe.