Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Harbor Freight winch

soobmater

I've alway felt the winch should not be permanently fixed to the front, but rather portable, where it can be moved to the rear also. More often than not, you want to get out of a problem, not farther into it. $0.02 r/ PK.

Agreed. Last time I got stuck in the suby was crossing a not-frozen-enough snowdrift in May. About 50 feet in I slide off the packed tracks and sat on the frame...,:banghead::banghead: with 75 feet to go to the other side. If I'd had a rear winch, I could have just pulled myself out. A front winch, I don't know...

Turned out we got a dodge 4x4 hemi stuck trying to pull me out (I told him, don't get on the slanted part of the drift... he had highway tires on too) Three ATV's. each with 2,500lb winches, eventually pulled us both out. Just in time for a Toyota Tacoma to try it, get stuck, and finally slog through to the other side with four wheel chains.

Second post here, but over from a jeep background.

The Weight ratings on a recovery winch need to be at LEAST 1.5X vehicle weight. The reason being is, that whe you are stuck, you not only have to drag the dead weight of the vehicle, but any additional drag encountered. Sink up to the floor in mud, you'll need a lot more power to get out.

The HF winches are a Milemarker china knock-off, and if a SLOOOOOWWWWWW Line speed is no factor, are the best bang for the buck when on sale. They are NOT fast, but a slow winch is MUCH better than NO winch. Upgrade power cables from Alternator, to battery if tou install ANY winch...Your battery, and winch will thank you.

• 2 weeks later...

I have one, and I LOVE it! The best deal going on a winch IMO. And for an extra $35 U can get a LIFE TIME WARRENTY!!!!!!!! The guy told me that it even coverd the cable:grin: I have used this winch on my 6800# Suberban, my old 4200# Ford F150, and will be using it on my EA82 wag. as well. It comes with a mounting plate that U can cut down and weld a recever insert onto and then it's a multi-mount;) ( that's what I did)