Ultimate Subaru Message Board

6 cyl BRat

Brumby Boy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know newer gen engines have been fitted into brats before - whether or not you can fit the H6 and do twin turbos is - as yet - undiscovered territory - whether or not you CAN do it, you might as well try - the H6 alone would be a big upgrade

Someone over here in Aus fitted the ER27 XT6 motor to a brumby (what we call a brat).

The radiator was fitting to a roll bar behind the cab because it wouldn't fit into the engine bay due to the extra length.

Fitting the twin turbos, dunno what space would be left after fitting the engine.

Someone over here in Aus fitted the ER27 XT6 motor to a brumby (what we call a brat).

The radiator was fitting to a roll bar behind the cab because it wouldn't fit into the engine bay due to the extra length.

Fitting the twin turbos, dunno what space would be left after fitting the engine.

my h6 fits with the radiator up front. even tho the newer h6 motors are smaller outside diameter, you aint fittin two turbos with that motor... afaik

it can be done.. and the turbos could be done too.. you just couldnt mount them in the "normal" locations.. but if you could put them under the motor, or above it..

but yeah.. the EJ22, either single turbo or twin.. would be lots of fun too.. :headbang:

you have a 92 brumby? I have an 87, which was the last year imported to the US for the brats... are the 90's brumbys different much than the older ones? or did they just keep making them the same? (pictures? pictures are cool!)

it can be done.. and the turbos could be done too.. you just couldnt mount them in the "normal" locations.. but if you could put them under the motor, or above it..

but yeah.. the EJ22, either single turbo or twin.. would be lots of fun too.. :headbang:

you have a 92 brumby? I have an 87, which was the last year imported to the US for the brats... are the 90's brumbys different much than the older ones? or did they just keep making them the same? (pictures? pictures are cool!)

yeah na they were all the same far as i know i have 86 headers on it. the last year that they imported them to Australia was 94.

• 1 month later...

This sounds like a killer idea, you might be able to fit some turbos up front behind the head lights with one light on each side removed and replaced with a filter. It would still be tight though. or you could stick with NA for simplicty(remember these are NA motors, turboing them is ALOT more involved than bolting them on.) and do some NA power mods like porting and polishing and headers.

Yeah i have been toying wit that idea for a few days now since i saw a Mazda RX 3 or 4 at the drags with a head light removed for airflow, and yeah the engine would be rebuild and strengthened to take the turbos. i was talking to one of the lads at work today and they said the EG33's had problems with coil packs dieing regulary and a some thing like 2 grand a pop needing six would get expensive but im sure that can be over come, surely by now someone would make something aftermarket.

you should look into the EZ30R, not too much bigger than the EJ motors, but its an H6. Subie went to great lengths to shorten it like useing a timeing chain instead of a belt, etc. the EZ30 is essentally the same but a little older and has single exaust ports on each side and the R has tri port exaust. though the conversion is a bit more invloved as you need the special ignition key equipment for the security.

EJ22? pffft.:rolleyes:

EJ25 or EJ20 twin cam: heads with the spark plug in the middle of the combustion chamber, much more efficient. Mind you, a lot harder for you guys in the US to get hold of.

I've never have a brumby (brat) but they didn't change AFAIK. Kept the EA81 & 4 spd all the way through.

Did the US get the 4 headlight version? I think most of our late ones have the 4 headlights with a targa roof. The last ones built were in 92, but they kept delivering them until 94.

Look up www.ausubaru.com, you should be able to find some pix there.

I think that the biggest thing that would need to be done is you have to have all time AWD. My D/R with the original EA81 spins the tires with no prob due to only the front wheels only engaged instead of all 4. Just think with even a ER27, even with the extra weight they would spin like a MOFO!

I am getting a grip load of money over the next 3 months so dont be suprised if you dont hear from me about my ER27TT into the 84 brat soon!!!

THE PROJECT WILL KICK INTO HIGH GEAR VERY SOON!!!!!

er27 in ea81 hatch.

21 inches from bell housing, to front crank pulley.

30 inches wide at the middle of the engine

32-33 inches wide at timing belt covers.

my timing belt covers sit on my front frame rails, they just touch on both sides.

the 3.3 looks like it would fit... but, you wont have enough room to put a radiator big enough to cool it, up front.

shes real tight.... most people who have seen mine, say too tight.

I think you could do it if you angled the rad perhaps. or mounted it in the back with plexi ducting for you wagon/hatch boys, and in the bed with ducting for Brat. Remoat mounting the rad will work, look at the water cooled porshe mods, they run a front rad to the rear motor.

*edit*

Just think, scoops in place of rear side glass and exiting out the back :)

for the turboes, you couls always rig up a remote mounted set up. mount em under the rear of the brat instead of a muffler. from what ive heard, the intake plumbing running under the vehical cools the air char so that it reduces the need for an intercooler. it would be cool to look into a tail pipe and see the turbine sitting there instead of a muffler. and for protection and a bit of sneakyness, you could get some thing sheet metal and make a muffler looking shell to put over the turbos to hide and help protct them from the elements.

i want to try this one day, i hope i can pull it off.