Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Roof Rack OEM installation advice on a 1997 Legacy Wgn

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 G.Cody

G.Cody

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • St. Louis, MO

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

Any one out there ever installed a Subaru OEM Roof Rack on a ('97) Legacy Wagon ie: Advice on pulling headliner, etc...etc...Thank you!!!!!

#2 JT95

JT95

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 539 posts
  • Bowling Green

Posted 03 May 2005 - 12:46 PM

Are you wanting to put a factory roof rack on a wagon that did not origionally come with one?

#3 G.Cody

G.Cody

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • St. Louis, MO

Posted 03 May 2005 - 05:54 PM

Yes...I was given a Subaru OEM roof rack, that I plan to install on my '97 wagon that didn't come with a Roof Rack. After looking at the mounting hardware that came with the Roof Rack, it is clear I need to pull the head liner to install the backing plate brackets that go on the inside of the roof.

Any advice?

Are you wanting to put a factory roof rack on a wagon that did not origionally come with one?

#4 Scottbaru

Scottbaru

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Holland

Posted 03 May 2005 - 07:52 PM

I think most factory roof racks are installed with expanding rivnuts. http://www.mcmaster.com/ has them and installation tools. Installing with backing plates would be more work but stronger. A Thule or similar aftermarket rack is much stronger and more versatile.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users