Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Suspension repair/upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bfg9k

bfg9k

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:18 PM

My '98 Legacy L wagon (108k miles) is no longer sitting quite level. I went with a friend as he test drove some '02 Legacy L sedans last weekend, and the vast difference in ride quality makes me suspect it may be time to do some suspension work.

I know an easy upgrade is replacing the rear swaybar with one from an Outback, but what are the options for the struts/shocks/springs? Is it possible to use the suspension components intended for a Legacy GT? Any idea how much this could cost me?? Thanks.

#2 bfg9k

bfg9k

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:30 AM

bump. Surely someone has worked on their Legacy L's suspension...?

#3 hklaine

hklaine

ShadeTree Extraordinaire

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Hunterdon County

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:47 PM

I don't know about a swap with the GT. I would imagine that new OEM parts would be quite expensive - ?

As for aftermarket, there is plenty out there. I put KYB GR-2 shocks in my car (still on stock springs) and this made a world of difference in handling without making the ride too stiff. (~$250/set). Take a look around, and I am sure you will find some options. PDM racing has a few on their site here, but there are other vendors as well.

-Heikki

#4 MDW25gt

MDW25gt

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Cincinnati

Posted 05 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

bump. Surely someone has worked on their Legacy L's suspension...?

I put KYB GR2's on a 90 leg wagon that originally had air. I was very pleased. Required going to a yard and getting the upper bearing mounts and springs + the new struts from tire rack. $150 from the yard. OEMs where too high for me.

On my current ride (99 Leg GT wagon) I put the KYB GR2's. Again very pleased. I would guess that the KYB's would be good on yours. Then maybe look at larger sway bar. I dont really know what the difference is with the GT vs L suspension. I can check the diameters of the sway bar if you are interested.

Good Luck,
Mike

#5 bfg9k

bfg9k

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:49 AM

Those KYB's sound like just what I'm looking for. I periodically check the local junkyard for Outbacks for the sway bar but they get Subarus only on rare occasions.

#6 cookie

cookie

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,058 posts
  • SFO

Posted 06 May 2005 - 11:51 AM

but I got the KYB GR2s on advice from this board and I have been quite happy with them on two cars now. On the Forester I got a used rear sway bar from a WRX from Ebay. Folks are always tuning thier cars and selling the stock stuff, so you might check Ebay for what you are looking for. My sway bar was dirt cheap and works as well for me as a new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users