Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '98 Legacy L wagon (108k miles) is no longer sitting quite level. I went with a friend as he test drove some '02 Legacy L sedans last weekend, and the vast difference in ride quality makes me suspect it may be time to do some suspension work.

I know an easy upgrade is replacing the rear swaybar with one from an Outback, but what are the options for the struts/shocks/springs? Is it possible to use the suspension components intended for a Legacy GT? Any idea how much this could cost me?? Thanks.

I don't know about a swap with the GT. I would imagine that new OEM parts would be quite expensive - ?

As for aftermarket, there is plenty out there. I put KYB GR-2 shocks in my car (still on stock springs) and this made a world of difference in handling without making the ride too stiff. (~$250/set). Take a look around, and I am sure you will find some options. PDM racing has a few on their site here, but there are other vendors as well.

-Heikki

bump. Surely someone has worked on their Legacy L's suspension...?

I put KYB GR2's on a 90 leg wagon that originally had air. I was very pleased. Required going to a yard and getting the upper bearing mounts and springs + the new struts from tire rack. $150 from the yard. OEMs where too high for me.

On my current ride (99 Leg GT wagon) I put the KYB GR2's. Again very pleased. I would guess that the KYB's would be good on yours. Then maybe look at larger sway bar. I dont really know what the difference is with the GT vs L suspension. I can check the diameters of the sway bar if you are interested.

Good Luck,

Mike

but I got the KYB GR2s on advice from this board and I have been quite happy with them on two cars now. On the Forester I got a used rear sway bar from a WRX from Ebay. Folks are always tuning thier cars and selling the stock stuff, so you might check Ebay for what you are looking for. My sway bar was dirt cheap and works as well for me as a new one.