Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 seat belt chime...I need it turned off!

The chime is driving me crazy. I tried the " turn key to start position, then wait for chime, then inset and take out of buckle 20 times" I read these instructions on another Subaru message board, but can NOT get it to work. Advice? Heard of another way? Thinking of using my wire cutters soon.....

Eric

Worked for me. Turn key to ON position. DO NOT start engine. Quickly buckle and unbuckle driver's side seatbelt 15-20 times rapidly then turn key to OFF position and remove key.

The next time you start the car the chime will chime 5 times and then stop. The chime will still chime 5 times each time you start the car.

It should work for the passenger (er dog) side as well once you've performed the steps as descibed above. There is actually a TSB from SOA for this but it doesn't give the details on the NHTSA site. Anyway, it should work for you since I was successful and my wife says I am barely smarter than dirt.

I fear snipping might not do the trick, the circuit usually needs to be connected through the seat belt latch. Of course this one may be different. You'll probably need to make a connection between the parallel wires under your seat. A scotch splice would work well, you'd have to cut it out a little to have two wires run completely through. It would be simple, clean, and easy to remove. Just a thought.

• 4 weeks later...

I just registered with this Board specifically to find relief on this exact issue! 'Tried the "cold clicks" method, and it worked. Thanks, USMB.

P.S. I habitually and steadfastly use and require use of seat belts. Indeed, this pattern of usage is one reason why the chime is superfluous. And, there are situations in which the chime is a needless annoyance. Packages on the front seat, service procedures, moving from one area of a shopping mall to another.