Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Weird Electrical Problems.

Hello Every one. I recently purchased a 1987 GL Wagon 4X4 and I love it.

However the electrical is wack. I just replaced the head lights and they worked for a good week, then all of a sudden I was driving home in the dark and they shut off straight out of no where. Now I cant seem to get them working again. Also when I rev the engine the interior lights light up even more then they are supposed to and when I release on the peddle the lights die down again.

Is this due to a fault altenator? I just replaced the Battery. And still no lights.

Anybody have any suggestions?

I vote alternator - and if it is what is blowing headlamps, it will soon blow your battery and many other important devices - I had one alternator spike to near 18 volts when it failed, causing an electrical overload - it killed my battery eventually

how do you know if one of the fusable links are blown?

I also have some fusable link sockets with no fusable link wires.

What do I need or how many links do I need?

PS Thanks for all your input. This site rocks.

If a fusable links goes, it will be burned in two. It is a fine, soft wire, in a soft insulation that will only handle a set amount of amperage before it heats up and actually burns up, breaking the circuit.

If you do not have a voltmeter, try getting the car to an auto parts store to have the charging system tested. Some can test the alternator with it removed from the vehicle, that would be better. Take it off and bring it in for testing.

If you have a voltmeter, connect it to the battery and start the car. It should stay between 13 and 15 volts even while revving the engine. Any more or less, replace the alternator. I payed $60.00 for the last one I bought, and it is well worth it.

If everything checks out, double check all your fuses, then the headlight relays under the dash, below the steering wheel, I believe.

When a link is blown it is usually more flexable in the middle because the wire inside has melted and it will strech. If they get hot enough they will be burned in the middle. You can also use a meter to check the voltage on each side of the link or pull it out and ohm it out.

There should be 4 links and if I remember correctly there should be 1 black, 2 green, and 1 red. I'm not sure of the positions but it may be the black is closest to the driver, then 1 green followed by the red one, and then the other green one towards the front. This is only a guess and using a manual for reference. I think a couple of the links are in the alternator circuit.

To Subaru_Dude:

Your problem may be with the grounding. You could try using a ground jumper lead to prove it. Just get a long wire with some clip leads on each end and tie one end to the battery ground or other spot you know is a good groung point. Then touch the other end to the light ground lead. If the light then works you know you need to fix the grounding. Having a test light probe would be helpful also to check for voltage.

just the head lights. im gonna replace the fuse links and see if it solves the problem. you said there were links on the alternator as well? This problem could of uccured when the previous owner replaced the head lights with bright blues.

So I checked out the Links and there all good. I went to Canmore today to check out prices on a Altenator. 256.00 CAD. No way so I went across the street and found a 1992 Subaru Wagon. I talked to the owner of the garage and sure enough he sold it to me for 100 bucks. Has everything I need on it. But before I buy it, just want to make sure if a 1992 Fuel Inj. Wagon loyal 4*4 has the same Altenator. Im gonna buy it anyways cause it has better head lights and parts I need.

Oh about the whole thing....my headlights blew. The Alternator was, in the end generating to much Voltage. Thanks for all your help!