Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 94 has a towing capacity of 1500 Lbs, with the 2.2L. It can pull a lot more than that, but that is what it is rated for. . . I believe is you got the bigger wheels, (15") you got a bit mor towing capacity, owing to larger brakes and stuff. . .

My 94 has a towing capacity of 1500 Lbs, with the 2.2L. It can pull a lot more than that, but that is what it is rated for. . . I believe is you got the bigger wheels, (15") you got a bit mor towing capacity, owing to larger brakes and stuff. . .
I have a 96 OBW 2.2 5 speed. I have towed a 92 Corolla on a tow dolly from Lexington, KY to southwest Michigan with no problems. I wasn't the first away from the light and I allowed PLENTY of distance for braking but it went smooth.

Greg

I have a 96 OBW 2.2 5 speed. I have towed a 92 Corolla on a tow dolly from Lexington, KY to southwest Michigan with no problems. I wasn't the first away from the light and I allowed PLENTY of distance for braking but it went smooth.

Greg

My tow dolly bragging point is a 60 mile trip (with hills involved) towint a 92 Mustang 5.0 ( which itself outweighs the Subie by 200Lbs), and when you add the dolly, I was pulling 1000lbs more than my own weight. OK, I never got it into 5th, but the engine pulled the car(s) happily.

Here's what my owners manual from a 98 says:

"The total trailer weight (trailer weight plus its cargo weight) with brakes must never exceed 2,000 lbs. (907kg)"

The Gross Vehicle Weight (i.e. the combined weight of vehicle, driver, passengers, luggage, trailer hitch, trailer tongue load and any other optional equipment installed on your vehicle) must never exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR). GVWR is shown on the certification label located on the drivers door of your vehicle.

blah blah blah..

The maximum trailer tongue load must never exceed 165 lbs (75 kg) etc etc etc.. subaru does not assume any liability to you being a ********************* and hurting yourself, other people, or your vehicle. good luck.