Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mileage is up, but.....

My mileage finally went up to 24 from 20-21. I was really happy. Now it runs like crap. It starts and dies, the second time it starts and stays running. I rarely let it warm up completely, I just let it idle foar a couple of minutes and then drive off. It started dying when I was slowing down and took foot off of the gas pedal. It idles rough when it idles. Anyone have any ideas? Please Help.

sounds like my car :P Although I got my mileage up from 22MPG to 28MPG by using super unleaded only and used Seafoam about 4 tanks ago. It took 4-5 tanks to get the mileage up (and it slowly worked it's way up a mile or two more each tank).

If mine doesn't warm up completely, it dies when I put clutch in and braking coming up to a stop. Doesn't die when it's warmed up, but it idles rough ALL the time (no matter if it's cold or warm). I'm going to be doing my timing belts this month, PVC valve/filter, and I might have to do a heli-coil in #1 (gonna try a thread chaser tool first) because I want to put in new NGK's and the plug in #1 won't seat all the way. Considering buying a better coil too. I know my choke needs adjusted - I might have my mechanic brother help me with that one though. I've never messed with carbs myself....

OK, the mileage came up a little more. I put a bottle of STP gas treatment in this morning and that seems to have helped. It doesn't die when I push the clutch in, now it die when I make a right turn in neutral or with the ckutch pushed. Never to the left, just the right. The filter was replaced less than 2000 miles ago.