Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

EJ22 heads on ea82 motor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ruparts

ruparts

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 563 posts
  • dallas, tx.

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:45 PM

I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried to fit 2.2 sohc 4valve heads on a 1.8 EA82 motor? I know there are intake and exhaust to deal with but will they bolt on and would the water and oil passages line up? I was just thinking maybe.

#2 subyrally

subyrally

Trust your Turbo-Lust

• Members
  • 2,888 posts
  • frederick, md

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:01 PM

im sure that they would not work with the ea engine, if im not mistaken, its a completly different design.eea componants work with ea engines and ej works with ej.

#3 Ratty2Austin

Ratty2Austin

have tools, will fix

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  • West Coast USA

Posted 06 May 2005 - 12:40 AM

yeah.. waaaaayyy different.. BUT... you can (with mods) put the whole EJ22 (or other EJ engines) into an EA car.. makes for a better result too! my first conversion car worked quite well. noah has it now-

#4 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 14 May 2005 - 02:29 PM

ya the heads are totally different, and the coolant and oil passages are different too, not to mention if they did fit you would have like a 7.5:1 comp. ratio instead of 8.5:1 or 9.0:1, huge drop in HP. do some searching and ask some questions around the board, you CAN put a EJ22 in your car, I did, Austin did, Mudrat does, Noah and Barracuda are all working on their conversions, just "poke" around and decide if its what oyu want to do.

~Josh~

#5 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 22 May 2005 - 03:11 AM

If something like what was going to work, I think you'd have to use EJ18 heads. But thats still going to leave problems with the cooling and oil passages that run through the head. EJ motors have less metal in the top of the blocks. There is only a 1/4" of metal between the two cylinders, where on a EA block, its solid with smaller cooling/oil ports.

Custom Dual port heads would be a better route

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users