Ultimate Subaru Message Board

really stiff suspension

Phizinza

Ok. I have a 2" lift on my brat (the most thats legal here in Aus) I have done the nut up that makes the rear suspension stiffer and higher. I also have used bolts and spacers to make the front higher too. The only problem is when I jack the brat up as soon as the jack lifts the body the wheel comes off the ground. That means the suspension wont go anyferther down. So when I'm offroading if I come a cross a bump it can lift off a wheel (and I don't have a LSD or luck diff) so then it just spins. How you yous guys normally set up your offroading beasts? I really like the stiffness on the road, great handeling. But will I have troubles offroading like this?

Thanks

you want to have a reasonable amount of up and down travel, or your off and on road ability will suffer. Stock there is about 5.5-6" of strut travel, and at ride height it rests halfway which is pretty much ideal for general use. Turning the adjusters up 2" will mean you will only have an inch or maybe less downtravel. On the other hand with more up than downtravel you could land jumps harder without bottoming out but how often are you doing that ;) Its not the ideal way to lift/stiffen your car by a long shot. I would keep them back at stock or maybe 1" over stock. It will be easier on the axles too because the CV angles wont be as steep.

Thats why youre maxing out your shocks then.

On the front there needs to be a strut spacer that goes on top of the strut. On the rear theres a shock extender that mounts either on the top and looks like a 2" horseshoe, or at the bottom and goes from the rear trailing arm to the shock bushing/bolt hole.

The lift has served its purpose minus the travel as youre seeing. This lack of travel is probably more illegal than running a 3" lift kit is, if not it should be.

ahhh right. I'll have to have a look at it when it gets back home.

I see why lift kits cost a so much. I just thought there was blocks you put in. But hteres more. Ok, I'll get it a look. I really want to put a 4" lift in, its illagel but I bet I could convince the local cop that its fine. He doesn't seem to know the law to well... I'll just have to save up then. Hey, go to my site and click the adverts, that gets me money! Lol, don't think google will like me now.