Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I had a exhaust leak

My 89 GL 10 wagon has had a exhaust leak that I was just putting off. You could hear it under the hood in the area of the turbo. It even felt like I was losing power because of it. I finally decided to check out the problem a few days ago. Where the down pipe bolts to the turbo it was leaking exhaust. I unbolted it and the flange fell off the pipe. It had broke at the weld. A clean break too. No rot on the pipe either. Looked like a stress crack. Lucky for me I build headers for a living so I pulled the pipe out and took it to work and welded it all back together. Now back in the car I swear it runs better. It feels stronger too. Maybe it is just in my head but it had been this was as long as I have had it. Has anybody else had this kind of break before? Is this a common problem with these turbo down pipes? Just curious.

I don't have a turbo. But on my Brat I had a bad leek where they bolt onto the cylinder head. Most of the bolts holes were stripped. So I put inserts in the heads and done them up real tight with new gaskets. No bad noise, more power. I think it would make more difference with a turbo. But every one should make sure there exhurst isn't leeking before upgrading anything for more power.

i have the same problem with the stripped holes on the cylinder heads where the exhaust bolts up. Heli-coil to the rescue for sure. And it sealed up perfectly!!! I am glad someone invented a way to repair threads. Hey subieguy have you made a custom header for an EA81 that doesn't have a cat and instead just a collector??? I would be interested in having one......

I just got my 84 turbo running, in to process of puting my new moter in i moved the downpipe away so i could put the motor in, Same thing broke off at the flange, took it to some dude charged me $15.00 to weld it, Mine was origanlly welded on the inside of the pipe.

I also what to know if this is a common problem.

Allso do subie turbo's crack often?, i have 2 with cracks by the little flapper valve thing, cracked in same spot on both, 1's EA81 other is EA82.

~CHIM~

Ah Hti he said "downpipe"

I'm sorry you misread as

this would not cause his turbo to loose exhaust pressure.

The turbulence could disturb the spool rate though.

This is the reasoning behind a twin tube down pipe (see below)

Subi guy, I have seen this problem created by the mounting

bracket that is connected to the engine/bellhousing

missing or out of alignment.

The mount under the tranny and the one mentioned above

must keep the connection at the flange from being stressed

as the engine rocks under acceleration.

Might want to also check the dogbone (pitching stopper) as

it is what limits this rocking.

Being an exhaust fabricator

Why not make yourself one of these?

nudownpipe.JPG

What is gained by adding the second small pipe to the other large down pipe? Gain in horsepower? I am not all that familar with turbos. I should get to know them better though now that I have my GL 10 and my 2003 1/2 Mazdaspeed Protege. It is turboed too. Lot more horses than my GL 10 though:lol: .

i have the same problem with the stripped holes on the cylinder heads where the exhaust bolts up. Heli-coil to the rescue for sure. And it sealed up perfectly!!! I am glad someone invented a way to repair threads. Hey subieguy have you made a custom header for an EA81 that doesn't have a cat and instead just a collector??? I would be interested in having one......
I could build you a exhaust like you want but I would either have to have a subie like yours to build it on, A "donor" like we call it at my work or I would need your old exhaust to build off of. That would be the only way I could build it right. The only subies I have myself right now are my 89 GL 10 and a 78 Brat. Neither has the ea 81 like your so I imagine it would be kind of tough to build one without the right stuff.