Ultimate Subaru Message Board

84 brat stop lamp light

in my 84 brat, wich is the none ecu model, decided the stop lamp warning light was gonna come on, and stay on. None of the lights are burnt out, Where and what could cause this to suddenly happen randomly? (I was working on putting in a radio when it decided to do this) If anyone has any ideas, let me know, thanks.

I never installed the radio, the acc power comes from the orginal acc power that was there for the orginal subaru radio, I have made no changes to my wireing harness at all. It's just decided it's going to stay on now, it sometimes, will turn off when I hit the breaks, and stay off until I release them again, sometimes... but most of the time it's just stuck on no matter what, and it's always On, when I'm not hitting the breaks. what I want to know is, where IS the module that kicks on that light, and what could cause it to fail like this...

Take a look at the little switch that is activated by the brake pedal , its up at the top in the area near the shaft that the pedal is mounted on( brake and clutch pedal box assembly). may be shorted out, or out of adjustment .

lol, just toped off the brake fluid 2 days ago, cause the brake fluid light was on....

yeah, I took alook at that guy too, the thing is, all my lights, and brake lights work. if that switch was bad, the brake lights wouldn't work. I'm thinking either the sensor is bad, or, it's being told the brake lights are on when they're really off, so it thinks they're out, because they're not on, I'm trying to figure out where the sensor is... Does anyone know where the sensor is?

• 7 years later...

on a 88 dl wagon its located in the passenger side tail light compartment accessed by a removable panel. my lights are all ok but the "stop lamp" dash light stays on all the time-i think im just going to remove the bulb so i dont have to look at it:-most cars dont have one anyway. I imagine you could also figure out a way to just remove the sensor instead.