Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Newbee looking for Information

John B

I found this site and am working on a new project, A Doran 3wheeler. It uses a 1980-1989 Subaru flat 4 and 2wheel drive 5 speed transmission. I do not have any experience with the Subaru engine and am looking for any insite you may have. Such as are thier any years I should steer clear of? I would like to find a complete doner auto . Thanks John

There are 2 major engine-series during those years. The EA81 is a pushrod-OHV (with gear driven camshaft) engine, which is renowned for its reliability and durability. The early EA81s used solid valve lifters, while the later (83+???) were available with hydraulic lifters.

The EA82 is an OHC engine using timing belts to drive the single-camshaft per bank. These engines use hydraulic valve lash adjusters (aka HVLA, HLA) to maintain zero valve clearance. The timing belts are less durable than the EA81's gear-drive, and are subject to breakage and engine stoppage. The good news is that EA82-series are "non-interference": The valves will not contact the piston crown if/when the t-belt beaks.

Both engines were available carbureted, and also turbocharged with MPFI (though EA81 turbos are not common). The EA82 was also available naturally aspirated with MPFI and with SPFI. In general, the EA82 produces more power than the EA81.

Both engines are prone to oil leaks (lots of vertical engine joints) and headgasket issues, HGs more so on the EA82s. Neither engine enjoys overheating, so cooling system is important. As prev stated, timing belt breakage can occur on the EA82 (regular maintenenace mitigates this problem).

Given good maintenance and avoiding overheating, both engines are durable. It is not uncommon for them to run 200-300k miles before needing major attention, and original honing marks are often/usually visible on cylinder walls after 150-200k miles.

You can use either engine with safety.The Ea 82 is easier to find and cheaper and more powerful.With a new set of belts it will last a lifetime and even if one breaks its a minor repair on a trike.A broken belt will not cause any bent valves.The only years to avoid are the later models from 97 on with the 2.5 engine although I have no experience with those and I am only going on hearsay.One other thing that might affect your choice is the EA 82 is 33 inches wide where the Ea 81 is only 28 .

Jude

I found this site and am working on a new project, A Doran 3wheeler. It uses a 1980-1989 Subaru flat 4 and 2wheel drive 5 speed transmission. I do not have any experience with the Subaru engine and am looking for any insite you may have. Such as are thier any years I should steer clear of? I would like to find a complete doner auto . Thanks John

Good luck!! Please post pics as you go. Trikes are so ***************in!! I've loved them for over 30 years now since I first saw a Mersherschmidt (SP) parked buy the curb in London at that time. Check out some of these tilters http://www.maxmatic.com/ttw_moto.htm and http://www.3wheelers.com/enter.html Cheers Pesky

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...