Ultimate Subaru Message Board

:-\ We have a 98 Forester S, with (I think) a 4EAT transmission (AWD). 86,000 miles.

2 months ago the AT OIL TEMP light started blinking.

We took it in to a tranny shop. "Nothing wrong," they said, after putting it on the diagnotic computer.

A few weeks later the light was still blinking. I found the "handshake" disgnostic here on USMB and did it. It indicated the speed sensor was problematic.

Then the transmission started to stick in 1st gear for much longer than it should--say, 3500-4000 rpm before shift? Stopping the car, then turning it off, then on, then starting--sometimes 3-4 times--makes the symptoms go away. But it always returns, usually in the morning when I first start it up.

So I took it to an independent transmission mechanic. He said the diag. computer didn't find anything, but noted that the battery cable was loose and that the sensor might not be getting sufficient current to operate properly.

So I ordered a new battery cable (none in town), and waited 24 DAYS (don't ask) for it to arrive.

Installed the battery cable nice and tight--problem is still there.

Took it back to mechanic # 2. He now says that "there's definitely something wrong" and that it's not electronic, but mechanical. His diagnosis so far: change the AT fluid, add an additive to unstick the valve that he thinks might be sticking.

OR...

Rebuild the transmission for 1800.00.

I just bought this car in December, FWIW. It's a great car--when the transmission works right.Also--mechanic #2 has reset the computer more than once while he has it. (No chunks of metal in the trans. pan).

So--could he be right? Am I looking at a whole rebuilt tranny? Will the fluid and additive fix have any effect?

I really enjoy reading y'all's advice and wisdom on USMB. ANY advice, commentary, you can give would be
really
appreciated.--bob w

the best fix for this prob....

5MT conversion!

that and only that will be your sure way to keep it from breaking again...

the subaru 4eat is garbage.. IMO

I would take it to a dealer.. dealer depending of course.. as long as its a subaru-only dealer, they would know for sure whats wrong.. at least from what I have seen.. dealers vrs independant shops.. but that is also my opinion...

if your up for the work yourself, you could swap out the tranny with a J/Y tranny (from a low milage wrecked car) it is usually cheaper than the reman route..

good luck with it...