Ultimate Subaru Message Board

$6K difference Outback to Legacy?????

Outbacks are just a Legacy with more ground clearence and two tone paint. My moms 1995 Legacy cost $16,000 new. My Outback when new cost $23,500. Same car...besides bigger wheels, more ground clearence, and two tone paint. The Outback is a wagon, and her Legacy is a sedan...but that is still a big price gap for almost the same car.

I didn't buy the OB new...but it came with the original reciept from the dealer it was bought at and it had the price.

Other than riding a bit higher, different wheels, single body color, what else do I loose buying a Legacy for $6000 cheaper? This is what I'm finding for 2000-2003 models.

Peter S

It is a matter of supply and demand. Outbacks are more popular than Legacies, and they get new features first because of it (extra power outlets, etc). Because more people want them, and there are fewer people that are selling them (used market), the price is higher.

Ok, Now I'm really confused. SOME Outbacks are Imprezza's? I thought they were all based on a Legacy. Whats an Imprezza anyway?

Are there aftermarket higher springs I could put on a Legacy to make it taller for snow?

Peter S

Also, note that some Outbacks are Imprezza's not Legacy's.

The Outback is set up as an off-road sports utility and the Legacy as an On-road sports utility. The outback has more of a rugged off road suspension, bigger tires, also the 3.0 Outbacks come standard with an automatic Transmission, and power sunroof other than that not much but you may be comparing apples to oranges. The base Outback XT is only $2000 more then the base Legacy GT because of the susp. and tires plus the few extra odds and ends.

NOW... where you see this big increase in base prices is when you jump into the base model Outback 3.0 VDC and the 3.0 LL BEAN which are about $6-7K more then the Legacy GT.

So now you have a bigger engine (although you to get less power in the 3.0), vehicle dynamics control, and some nice plush leather that LL Bean slapped into the Outback. And if you have ever shopped at LL Bean they are not exactly cheap.

Look at this, it is every thing you would have to add to the stock Legacy GT to even get it to compare to the base model Outback vdc

Autotrans $1200 extra

LTD upgrade $2700 extra

This doesnt include the VDC or the upgraded leather or suspension.

There you have it just to give you a picture on their differences. Hope it helps!

Ok, Now I'm really confused. SOME Outbacks are Imprezza's? I thought they were all based on a Legacy. Whats an Imprezza anyway?

Are there aftermarket higher springs I could put on a Legacy to make it taller for snow?

Peter S

IIRC, you can swap in Outback struts and springs into a Legacy to get the 3" lift. Don't quote me on that though. There are also several aftermarket products to lift your Legacy, or lower it for better handling. THat is the trade off, you know: higher lift poorer handling, lower lift better handling. . .

I chose the Legacy GT over the Outback because I wanted more stable handling at higher speeds. The higher road clearance of the Outback makes for poorer handling and stability, especially on the freeway. Which is not to say that the Legacy GT's handling/stability at speed is all that great. While it's handling characteristics in an evasive maneuver are downright nasty and dangerous, the Outback's are even more so.

Take a look at the '03 & '04 Legacy L SE. IMO it has the best value in the line if you never go off road. If you plan to do some minor off-roading then the Outback line would be for you. The SE (special edition) has the same wheels as the GT, and some interior upgrades (leather wheel, shift knob, dual roofs, CD Player) that make a nice package and they were less than $21,000 new with MT, +$800 for AT.

The Outback is a nasty drive?? On my second Outback and have been impressed with the way they handle and I have had two Audi's (89 and 95 quattros) and a 1980 Porsche. I am NOT saying the Outback handles like a Porsche, but it is not far behind the Audi's we had, and beats them on all other fronts; price and reliability and maintance costs (after the free service at Audi runs out, a window switch was $450 in 1993, installed) If you are into status, the Audi may be for you, but I am sticking with the Outback. My 05' was more $ than a 05 Legacy but standard features on the Outback that the Legacy did not come with were, from memory, heated seats, self dimming rear view mirror, Home Link, bigger tires, full auto drivers seat, a probably a few things I missed.

Blue 05 Outback

Other than riding a bit higher, different wheels, single body color, what else do I loose buying a Legacy for $6000 cheaper? This is what I'm finding for 2000-2003 models.

Peter S

In addition to stickers and emblems that say Outback, don't forget the groovy fake hood scoop.

I chose the Legacy GT over the Outback because I wanted more stable handling at higher speeds. The higher road clearance of the Outback makes for poorer handling and stability, especially on the freeway. Which is not to say that the Legacy GT's handling/stability at speed is all that great. While it's handling characteristics in an evasive maneuver are downright nasty and dangerous, the Outback's are even more so.

I disagree with that statement, you make the Outback sound like a Ford Pick-up Truck but it is true at high speeds (over most legal limits) you will find the Outback does not handle as well as the GT. Subaru of America had an evasive driving course set up a few years back and they used the Outback for it and I don't think it handled badly on the course. I find my Legacy GT handling to be excellent in the snow/rain and on regular roads as well. My 98 Outback to be good but with a little more body roll. (not fair though comparing a 98 to a 00)

I think you will be happy with what ever vehicle you buy. But since ground clearance is an issue you might want to get the Outback, it is more money but the difference in payments might be like $40 a month. They both have good resale value especially where you are, and the Outback will always be worth more than the Legacy, though not $6000 dollars more (For example when the Legacy is worth $10,000 the Outback will be worth $13000)

For what it's worth we have three Legacy/Outbacks in the family. I drive a 98 GT wagon 5 speed, wife has 96 Outback 5 speed and we also have a 98 Outback automatic. We live in Vermont so drive in snow much of the year.

Handling on the GT is much better than either of the Outbacks due larger to ride height and to a degree tires as GT uses 55 series 16" while Outbacks run

70 series 15" tires. We run snows on all of them and NEVER get stuck even when staying at a house that's a mile down a private drive. I think that the newer Outback have switched to a 16" tire but still a higher profile than the GT's

Personally I prefer the GT as it never is driven off road hence clearance is not an issue. The Outbacks handle much better than you typical SUV but not as well as the GT or any other standard Legacy for that matter. Hey there's a reason why race car sit low to the ground and the same effect applies here.

If you think the extra 2" of clearance is going to help you then pony up for the pricier Outback otherwise save some money and get a better ride in a Legacy. Note that the Legacy's have pretty much the same features as your base model Outback. The fancy bits that go on the LL Bean limited models is basically window dressing to justify the price.

It never ceases to amaze how people who spend 95% of their time on paved roads feel the need to have their cars hoisted up off the pavement. One last note all three of our cars are well over 100K miles.

I disagree with that statement, you make the Outback sound like a Ford Pick-up Truck but it is true at high speeds (over most legal limits) you will find the Outback does not handle as well as the GT. Subaru of America had an evasive driving course set up a few years back and they used the Outback for it and I don't think it handled badly on the course. I find my Legacy GT handling to be excellent in the snow/rain and on regular roads as well. My 98 Outback to be good but with a little more body roll. (not fair though comparing a 98 to a 00)

I think you will be happy with what ever vehicle you buy. But since ground clearance is an issue you might want to get the Outback, it is more money but the difference in payments might be like $40 a month. They both have good resale value especially where you are, and the Outback will always be worth more than the Legacy, though not $6000 dollars more (For example when the Legacy is worth $10,000 the Outback will be worth $13000)

We have '00 and '95 Legacy wagons. I like the Legacy handling on dry roads, and we have never had any problem in snow. That includes driving the '00 from Whitefish to Polebridge during a semi-blizzard through almost 30 miles of unplowed 18" snow.

We've never been stranded by either of our Legacies. I can't imagine a scanario where you would 'need' the extra ground clearance in Spokane.

IMHO, If you want it to off-road, you should get and rehab an older 4WD D/R, not an AWD. If you want a good all-around all-year handle whatever the NW can throw at you car - get a Legacy and put the extra $6K in your kid's college fund.