Ultimate Subaru Message Board

W()()T!!1!! It is done......

iluvdrt

My D/R conversion is now complete. After 28 laborous hours, I am done installing my d/r tranny and diff into my 87 gl10 turbo. Everything went as smooth as could be, and she runs great. I tried to fit some 205/75/14 mud tires on her, and as long as I dont turn any corners they fit. I guess I need to get on the ball, and get my allied lift.

she needs a little more tlc on some of the small things, but for the most part she is wheeling ready. I took her down to a small rock pile I normally had trouble with, and crawed over them with ease now(well minus the lack of articulation).

I am stoked.

My D/R conversion is now complete. After 28 laborous hours, I am done installing my d/r tranny and diff into my 87 gl10 turbo.<snip>

I am stoked.

I already swapped the carrier for a diff and am running it, but I have a D/R tranny sitting on the floor of my garage to swap for the push-button one in my 85 DL wagon. I need to fab up an engine puller after work this week, and will hopefully get down to nuts and bolts by this weekend. This is my first time pulling a motor, or trying anything like this. Can you give me any tips on avoiding things that you spent a lot of time or effort on? It seems like it takes for ever the first time I do something, then once I have done it - it goes really quick the next time. Like when I spent 4 hours pulling my first CV half-shaft, then got the other one out in 20 minutes.

thanks

James B

I already swapped the carrier for a diff and am running it, but I have a D/R tranny sitting on the floor of my garage to swap for the push-button one in my 85 DL wagon. I need to fab up an engine puller after work this week, and will hopefully get down to nuts and bolts by this weekend. This is my first time pulling a motor, or trying anything like this. Can you give me any tips on avoiding things that you spent a lot of time or effort on? It seems like it takes for ever the first time I do something, then once I have done it - it goes really quick the next time. Like when I spent 4 hours pulling my first CV half-shaft, then got the other one out in 20 minutes.

thanks

James B

You dont need to pull the motor to change the tranny. I did it by myself w/o pulling the motor. You will need something to lift the front of the engine to tilt it towards the back of the car. This makes getting the tranny in a lot easier.

Some advice would be to check the rear seal and pilot bearing, make sure there is not a dowl pin in the tranny AND the engine in the same location. I did this and after fighting the tranny to get it in I had to pull it back out to remove the extra dowl.

Use a jack on the tranny. There is a little slab sticking down on the trans, a jack there will almost balance out the tranny perfectly. When you pull the pushbutton trans dont forget to plug the vacume hoses that activate it or you will have a vacume leak...Anything else just ask.