Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I second your question (or request). I've got a new rad waiting for install cause the old one (10 years) has its lower part blocked by bugs and by bent fins (small rocks). Not showing any sign of overheating yet (save the fact that the fan kicks in a little sooner now when I'm stopped and engine is idling) but I prefer an ounce of prevention... I was thinking of installing a piece of door screen behind the bumper's openings to protect the new one, but have not yet devised any precise method of installation. Any other ideas?

aluminum grills will bend and rust

mesh is too flimsy

i bought grillcraft

www.grillcraft.com

steel

powdercoated - wont chip, wont rust

air gets through

but not much else does!

black or silver

easy install :)

see: http://www.grillcraft.com/applications/applications.asp?action=viewDetails&make=SUBARU&model=SUBARU+IMPREZA&ext=WRX%2C+STI%2C+RS+%28MODELS%29&years=2004%2D2005

pic_applications_sub1717_.jpg

Jamie

aluminum grills will bend and rust

mesh is too flimsy

i bought grillcraft

www.grillcraft.com

steel

powdercoated - wont chip, wont rust

air gets through

but not much else does!

black or silver

easy install :)

see: http://www.grillcraft.com/applications/applications.asp?action=viewDetails&make=SUBARU&model=SUBARU+IMPREZA&ext=WRX%2C+STI%2C+RS+%28MODELS%29&years=2004%2D2005

pic_applications_sub1717_.jpg

Jamie

Nice indeed! But nothing for my Legacy. Any DIYer has any idea?

I fabbed and installed one on the lower section of my Impreza. I just wish that I'd've done it before all the evaporator fins got bent shut. :banghead:

Some details would be appreciated.

TIA.

Some details would be appreciated.

TIA.

It was pretty straightforward really. I used a piece of expanded aluminum that I had laying around (expanded metal has the diamond-shaped openings formed by first slitting, then stretching the piece). The stuff I used had holes that were small enough to keep out insects, rocks, or other potentially damaging detritus, but large enough to maintain adequate air flow. It may also have had a clear anodization on account of salt having not affected it.

I cut it to shape, then fastened it with some nuts & bolts that I passed through holes I drilled in the lower facia below the bumper. It looks really similar to Subie Gal's photo except I did only the lower section, and I mounted mine behind the plastic body work rather than in front of it. Functionally it won't matter either way, it'll just look different.

Any bug-screen will restrict air-flow to some degree, but I 'spose it's better to restrict flow by 10% with a guard than by 25% (or worse) from long-term damage and dried bugs. Most of the damage occurs when driving high-speed in the wee hours of the morning and those big friggin' bugs hit so hard you feel 'em vibrate the car.

Home-improvment places have sections of expanded aluminum and enameled steel.