Ultimate Subaru Message Board

traveling across the I-90/I-94 to MN- back home, pics added!

on wednesday, the 11th.. I depart the Seattle area in route to Minneapolis... planning to arrive either late thursday night (in the midnight hours) or friday morning sometime...

so its going to be a long haul in the impreza on my own.. hoping for no issues.. I got the alignment done, oil changed (and the belts and stuff is good too) and I am going to carry tools as always, however, no spare tire.. and only the stock scissor jack and no idea where the crank handle is.. but not expecting any issues.. afterall ... its highway driving all the way!

any ideas on the weather conditions thru the mountain areas? i have snow tires on the car, but this trip was origionally planned for the motorcycle, so I am just curious as what to expect...

also, if anyone wants to meet up along the way, i could be down for a quick stop at a gas station off the main freeway- come see the impreza!

othewise, im off and runnin on wednesday!

Austin

I have a small floor jack you can borrow, along with a spare front axle. You really should aquire a spare of some sort. Like I pm'd you, the used tire store in Lake City had a spare forester wheel you could probably get a tire mounted on for 50 bucks. . .

Gimme a call.

If you have an emergency in Wyoming and places North of Denver along I-90, etc I may be able to come help you, bring stuff, etc. PM For my phone # and send me your number so I know who's calling if you do call at a weird hour of the day/night.

Shawn

i am just curious.. and I know everyone is different when it comes to this.. but what kind of foods/snacks/energy drinks should i have or are good/cheap/effective for long hauls like this?

or for that matter, good safe places to stop and take a nap without being bothered by the fuzz? (last time i stopped in MT at a rest stop, they were sitting behind the car and woke me up.. they left very slowly when they saw me move!)

I expect to be somewhere in western montana by late night/morning (nap time needed) probably only stopping for about a couple hours.. (like, 2 or 3 hours nap) daylight helps keep me awake luckly

and the spare tire thing.. 50 seems too high.. i think i will see about grabbing one from work in the "used wheel and tire pile"

hehe sounds like a good plan.. the xt can tow it..

as for saturday, i will probably be out and about, i dont think i can take too long for a meet/greet.. but i could stop by and say hi.. my mission for that day is to look around and get ideas on apartments/shared rent w/roommates/etc and jobs for that area- (planning to move fairly soon if you missed that thread)

so if you let me know when/where i could see about stopping in on my way thru!

Drive safe Austin. Don't be supprised if it snows on you :lol:

Every FRI and SAT night there is a Subaru Meet and Greet up on University Ave. near "Porkies" drive through dinner. Its where all the hot rods go on FRI and SAT evenings. A business owner is nice enough to let the MN Subaru club use a parking lot those nights. PM me if you are interested in going one night and I'll get you directions.

I can't imagine why the MHP would bother you in a Rest Stop, that's what they're for.

Fruit, water, strong coffee and cheap cigars.

The most efective stay-awake aid: clutch a hundred dollar bill in your left hand, roll down the driver's window, and hold the hand out in the slip-stream ... guaranteed you won't fall asleep.

thanks for the help guys, this is my last post till after I get to MN or get home from MN! look for the lifted impreza along I-90/I-94!!

what worries me... my check engine light came on today, while driving.. I am having issues with my idle system... code 24 came up :eek:

I think while I am running on the freeway, I will be adding some fuel additives to clean it out a lil bit... hope it works!

but matt gave me his spare! so I am covered there (and I got a portable E-tire pump)

wooohoo! made it home alive!!!

the impreza is getting better gas milage now too! but the check engine/idle issue is not better... hmmmm :-\

calculated milage on most of the tanks coming back- 28 to 31mpg!! that includes the 85 octane gas in MT, with a constant speed of 65-75mph

one bird bounced off the wagon @75mph, little tiny thing- I think it cracked the lense on the already-broken marker light.... and i got a rock chip in my new windshield! :banghead: (stooopid sand trucks)

good thing I had those snow tires on there (thanks Zap) i ran into some nice glare ice early in the morning on my way thru eastern MT.. also at about 70mph!

some select pictures from the trip can be see in the gallery

http://usmb.net/gallery/album137

:brow:

Hey, great you made it back ok. Oh, that picture of you following me was in Elk River about 40miles East of St Cloud or so but thats ok. lol

Was great seeing you two and meeting the misses. Oh and hey, you cleanup pretty good in the prom pictures. Some great road shots too.