Ultimate Subaru Message Board

05 outback wagon- Turn off running lights?

Ever drove around like an idiot with your headlights off? They appear to be on but the tail lights were out?

How do I deactivate the lousy day running lights?

According the the owners manual they are on the "Reduced Setting". Whats the relationship with the Day running lights on dash indictor? By default are they not always on? So why the indicator when it is night time and the headlights are on?

More weirdness?

Like the door key switch on my loyale? Driveside left turn unlocks, but on the passenenger side right turn unlocks. And you still need to use a key to unlock the driverside if you are getting the door for your mom ( she cannot reach over to unlock).

$

Bill

Maybe make a search on this forum with "running lights". It should get you all the info you want and save you some aggravations...

In my case, if it's dark enough to be able to think the headlights are on (running lights) it's dark enough to see that the gauges (mainly speedo and tach) are not illuminated and that the tails are not on.

But that's me of course.

May the light be with you.

Ever drove around like an idiot with your headlights off? They appear to be on but the tail lights were out?

According the the owners manual they are on the "Reduced Setting". Whats the relationship with the Day running lights on dash indictor? By default are they not always on? So why the indicator when it is night time and the headlights are on?

On Subaru, you can leave the headlights on all the time, as they turn off when you turn the ignition off. That may help prevent you from running with your daytime lights on, thinking that they are your headlights. . .

More weirdness?

Like the door key switch on my loyale? Driveside left turn unlocks, but on the passenenger side right turn unlocks. And you still need to use a key to unlock the driverside if you are getting the door for your mom ( she cannot reach over to unlock).

On the early 90's models with power door locks, the drivers side door lock controls all power locks, but the passenger door and the hatch/trunk can be opened without causing all the doors to unlock. As for the direction of the turning of the key: Most manufacturers hafe the door locks set so turning the top of the key in the same direction (with relationship to the car, ie: top to the front unlocks, top to the back locks), which gives your the "mirrored" effect you are describing. This is pretty normal, actually. Just remember that turning the top of the key to the front unlocks either door.

$

Bill

Bill, my responses are in blue. Also I'm very close to you geographicly. If you ever have any trouble with your Subies, shoot me a PM on here.

Daytime running lights have long been proven to prevent accidents. I think some of the Scandanavian countries (Saab in Sweden I think) has been doing it since the 70's. It's a federally mandated safety feature, turn on the headlights and leave them on if you can't remember when you need them.

BTW: Do you really think an auto manufacturer doesn't take the draw of headlights into account when they design electrical systems? Has their been an unuasual number of alternator issues with cars since the introduction of daytime running lights? Leave them alone and move on to other issues, it's probably saved you life twice already and you don't realize it.....

Try lightsout.org for some tips. They've got some procedures that might still be valid. You might also check out their "studies" link. They've got links to many studies that have been done on DRLs as well as some good analysis of those reports.

Also, check your insurance policy before you dewatt your running lights. You may find a clause in there that voids the policy if any manufacturer safety device is defeated.

That could be a BIG time bummer.

and cost a lot more than that hypothetical alternator you sem to be worried about. . .

More weirdness?

$

Bill

Does the DRL indicator go off when you turn the headlights on manually at

night? I thought the purpose of that indicator was to remind you to turn your headlights on manually at night. What I mean is, if you see the indicator on, you've forgotten to turn your headlights on--and then you've got no "parking",license, or side marker lamps at night......

On my 2004 Outback there is an interlock switch on the parking brake - the daytime running lights are activated when the parking brake is released. Find the switch and you should be able to de-activate the daytime running lights. I don't know how that would affect the normal headlights, however. I wouldn't do it - I like the daytime running lights and have always turned on my headlights on grey days when I had cars that didn't have them.

On my 2004 Outback there is an interlock switch on the parking brake - the daytime running lights are activated when the parking brake is released. Find the switch and you should be able to de-activate the daytime running lights. I don't know how that would affect the normal headlights, however. I wouldn't do it - I like the daytime running lights and have always turned on my headlights on grey days when I had cars that didn't have them.

But I suspect you'll have the "brake" warning lamp glaring at you constantly if you do that.........