Ultimate Subaru Message Board

oops, thought I was replying to skips thread, sorry

hey skip, for what it is worth, I would suggest running as cool a thermostat as you can find, using the stock radiator setup, and obtain a compressor tio get the AC back into operation. you already seem to have a handle on watching the oil and coolant temps closely, the coolant extracts a lot of heat from the oil in the block. all this would seem to help to lower te underhood temps, which I believe is where the real performance gains are to be found. the old formula I believe that Smokey Yunick used was as follows: for every 10 degrees F that you decrease the temp of the intake air, you get a 1% horsepower increase. I think the motor in question for theis formula is a "typical" 300 horse chevy v8, but the logic still applies- cold air is denser, has more oxygen per volume. Plus, I would hate to have oil and coolant that close, in case you had a hidden leak allowing coolant and oil to mix. I am not actually clear if the condenser is seperate or a part of the existing radiator- so if it is seperate, then disregard last comment. In my n/a brat, I was amazed at the difference in having a mechanical secondary carb, advanced timing, and a free flowing exhaust. I never believed the ea81 had that much throttle response. But, still, at 90 mph or so, it really shows that it has 70-80 horsepower! I would rather have some intercooling setup that would allow more timing- subaru's seem to be timed very conservatively, and insulate everything to keep heat in the exhaust and out of the intake air. hope this helps. Pat