Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What MPG do You Get in your 2.2L AWD?

'96 Legacy wagon, 2.2, MT. 22 around town. 29 pure highway.

Considering their size, Subarus are total gas guzzlers. AWD costs gas. Yours being an Outback and having an AT also cost you, as you know. Your mileage is what I'd expect from a car like yours.

Subyluvr: Are you sure Grampa isn't stretching things a wee bit? You know, older men will sometimes . . . Oh, wait! I'm an older man!

Here's my (honest) input--21.693809 mpg from a '95 L wagon, 99% city driving.

'Course I probably drive like a granny. Except when I do some maintenance and the engine runs smoother and my foot gets a little heavier.

Am hoping mpg improves a bit with recent replacement of temp sensor and a new 02 sensor.

My 98 Impreza sedan 4EAT with RS wing, when I had it got 31 MPG highway and maybe 24 city? (never actually measured in city though)

It got the 31 MPG going between Reno and Portland with 1 passenger and some luggage in the back at like 3000 + feet too. That and it hadnt really been driven in the past year (as it just had the rear of the body rebuilt from a crash)

I average about 23.5 MPG (mixed driving) in my 1995 L Sedan (90,000 miles on it). I got 28 MPG on a trip to Boston from Allentown, PA. My dad gets about 24-25 MPG in his '97 Impreza sedan (it has 104,000 miles), and my mom gets 26 or so in her '98 Legacy wagon 5-spd (99,000 miles on it). Subarus aren't the greatest when it comes to gas mileage, but they always seem to do much better on the highway compared to their EPA ratings.

Brian

Guest jclay

I've averaged 26.2 mpg over my last 6 tanks, in my 97 legacy wgn 2.2, 5 spd, mainly city/in town driving...

My 95 gets around 24 MPG. I just changed the fuel filter tonight and expect a little more as a result (there was a really old Fram fuel filter on it). I drive mostly highway and some in town. I also expect better MPG as a result of summer gas.

my (former) 1980 yellow wagon got a consistant 21mpg with the 2.2 D/R conversion and 27" BFG tires.. when I was traveling to MN from WA non stop.. uphill/downhill..sub-freezing temps, and about 70-90mph constant speed (where applicable :-p )

my 5spd impreza 1.8, recently got about 20-25 mpg mixed... but its a 1.8! :confused: my last impreza with the 1.8 and the AWD AT got 31 on the highway??? hmm... i just cleaned my IAC valve, PCV and TB... so we will see this week if it helpes!

96 obw: avg 25mpg

A far cry from the 40mpg highway miles I used to get from my Geo Prizm (it cost me $35 in gas to drive from Knoxville, TN, to Boulder, CO, in that thing!), but for AWD, cargo space and ground clearance, I'll take the 25mpg OBW over a 13mpg Jeep any day.

my 97 OBS gets 20-27ish, and... with the thule box & racks it goes from that to about 20-23mpg.

But an idea! subaru's auto's have that crazy 'fwd' fuse for towing, you know you put the fuse in when you tow the car. what if you were to run the car w/ a fuse in there.. i've never tried it, just an idea that came up.