Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hill-holder in the Brat?

So Ryker just informed me of the hill holder and linked me to a thread of how it should work... and Apparently if the 84 Brat has one.. it's not functioning.. I sure would like to be able to use this feature.. If anyone could tell me how it might have been disabled.. or how i can enable it? Or if my brat just doesn't have it? This sure is a feature I would like to be able to use! Thanks. -Eli-

(http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35710)

If your 84 has it,

You need to look and see if you can find a cable going from the clutch cable area under the hood to the brake booster area. The cable that actuates the Hill holder works off the clutch and controls a spring loaded valve on your brake system.

You should be able to look under the hood and see if the cable has been removed or is just out of adjustment.

I think you'll find it obnoxious for 4wding (you can't roll backwards with the clutch in).

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--wouldn't have the HH clutch!!!

01 Forester--not an option.

Well, the kids left in the evening and I got out there under the hood. I see exactly the cable you were referring to. *Duh!* It was just a simple matter of it being out of adjustment.. I had to re-dye the "bolt" for it, as it was terrible dirty, and tap a nut to thread on there.. but it's all good now! It is a simply magnificent invention! I can't believe I never knew about this before!!!

As for it being obnoxious for wheelin'.. I don't see why.. it only comes on with the clutch all the way depressed and then you have to depress the brake very far too.. if you let the clutch out as little as 1/4 of the way.. the hill holder disengages and you can roll back just fine... It's GREAT!!! Thanks for the help!!!

-Eli-

If your 84 has it,

You need to look and see if you can find a cable going from the clutch cable area under the hood to the brake booster area. The cable that actuates the Hill holder works off the clutch and controls a spring loaded valve on your brake system.

You should be able to look under the hood and see if the cable has been removed or is just out of adjustment.

I think you'll find it obnoxious for 4wding (you can't roll backwards with the clutch in).

Good luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer--wouldn't have the HH clutch!!!

01 Forester--not an option.