Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front bumper brackets of "historic" 4WD

Those don't look like the front bumber brackets on my 79 Brat (4x4 duh)

On the Brat they are kind of a sheet metal T shaped piece. Sort of designed to crumple a bit and let the bumber plow into the front Valance when the previous owner tried to use it as a push vehicle :banghead:

garner

The 2WDs had to pass the 5 mph impact test. The BRATs were exempt, as a "utility vehicle". The mounts on the 4WDs did not contain a shock and were kind flimsy IMO. Not much you can do about it though.

The same with the doors on the BRATs and 4WD wagons. They did not have the side impact beams on them. You can however, switch the doors with a 2wd wagon, for wagon.....or 2WD coupe/sedan with the BRAT. That way you can upgrade to a higher margin od safety!

Okay. Got it. Does anyone have a picture of a 70s Brat front bumper bracket (assuming it's the same as a 4WD wagon bumper bracket), or of a 4WD wagon front bumper bracket, with the bumper removed? I might have to fabricate something to adapt the tow bar to the front bumper bracket (bumper removed), and right now I'm kind of working in the dark. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! They look just like the ones on the 78 2x4 wagon.

Maybe the 78 2x4 bracket is the same as the 80 4WD bracket, but different from the 79 2WD bracket? Hmmmm

subaru%20138.15.jpg

How're these?

80 brat dl 4wd

-mark-

Paul's pic is the same for all Gen 1 4WDs form 77 onward. BRATs and wagons. (Except for the early 77/ and some 78s with the small "rounded" bumper). Most had the "box" bumper with the brackets in Pauls pic.

Todd

Todd, you mean this one, right? By the way, you guys are awesome. This looks so flimsy I think I'd be better off drilling holes through the front of the bumper to attach the tow bar brackets. Thanks all again, Ennio

This one should be '77 Stage II -'78 4WD wagon ONLY

128Subaru_bumpers_1977-79_pg5-med.jpg

Those pics are not from an 80 BRAT. ALL gen 1 4WDs had pressed steel mounts. Not shocks. I will attempt to get pics.

Todd

Huh, funny, that's the car I'm looking at, and that's the front I took pix of, and those're the brackets holding the bumper on...

Maybe 75subie's right that it was damaged then repaired as such, but if that's the case it was done so well i can't tell...

But then again I'm mostly a new gen guy so i guess i don't know 80 gen 1 body configuration from stock:drunk:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35439

4th msg has some pix, also in older gen forum...

bringing new life to an old brat...

You're in Arizona? Is your 1600 2WD or 4WD? By the way, Friday night 5/27 I drive to CO to pick up the wagon. Hopefully all works out with the tow bar, etc.

Those brackets are the same for my 1979 1600 GL wagon too!

Yep, Flag... I have an almost fully restored 1979 GL 1600 series II. Missing a working analog clock and spindle nut covers for the wheels. Other than that, she's been repainted and looks great. She's 4WD...

Have fun.