Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Outback performance mods

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ~01~Outback

~01~Outback

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Brisvegas

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:37 AM

[This has been discussed before, but not to good effect!!]

Just enquiring as to what i can do to increase the mid-range torque of my standard 01 Outback manual! Its a daily driver and i also do a lot of highway k's for work! The car cruises very well, but lacks mid-range torque! Im just looking for a slight increase in power, nothing major: putting a noisy after-market exhaust is not really ideal, and from what ive read hi-flow air filters do nothing! would a lightened flywheel help? Is there an engine remap, or hi-po chip available? would hi-po plugs, leads, help?

Any advice welcome
Cheers
scott

#2 swc7916

swc7916

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 159 posts
  • Kirkland

Posted 10 May 2005 - 10:15 AM

I have noticed a small improvement in performance after I replaced the stock air filter with a K&N filter. Maybe it's just my imagination, but the engine seems to breathe easier and pulls harder under load.

#3 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 10 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

a K&N filter should show small, but noticeable gains. exhaust can be modified without getting louder. i use dynomax mufflers, not loud at all and excellent performance and design. best to talk to someone else who has your motor though, each vehicle is different. no need to do anything major to your exhaust, but getting a slightly larger muffler or pipe from the cat back may help. no need for expensive after market bolt on systems either. a high quality muffler welded correctly will work great and cost 100 - 150 dollars. mine is not loud at all.

magnecor ignition wires are awesome, check out their website. i've used them for years and recommended them to lots of people who have all been very pleased with them. they are not bolt on horsepower but excellent products that won't degrade, again check out their information.

#4 ~01~Outback

~01~Outback

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • Brisvegas

Posted 10 May 2005 - 05:37 PM

Thanks guys!!

Ill probably chase the remap or chip path and see what comes up! It may just require a dyno tune and remap to give me what im looking for! Ill repost results
cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users