Ultimate Subaru Message Board

is it a big issue if i overfill the oil on my 2k outback, 2.5L. I change it and bought one of those 5qt containers of gtx 10-30. there is what appears to be 1 qt left, more or less but the dipstick reads a bit above the full mark. I check it on level ground after having it sit for 3 hrs?!! It's says 4.2qts in the manual and there was approx 1qt left, based on the window on the 5qt bottle?~ What do you all think, i can open the pan and drip a bit out but it seems like such a small amt over.....there must be a give or take amount for engines...right, room for "error" or slight over fill in engines... advice y'all PLEASE!!!! Thx

When I bought my car used, it was overfilled with oil by a little bit. I ran it for a while with no problems. It is hard not to over fill it, esp. if you are used to big engines with a 5 qt capacity. What I do now is put about 3 or 31/2 qts, then let it go for a day, check the oil later, and add any if needed.

You don't want it to be extremely overfilled, that can cause damage... I would say 1/2 qt or so shouldn't hurt.

matt

Gent's,

description is exact (however i left out the part about drinking a beer while doing it) Yep it minimal, Like i said i have about a qte left in the 5 qt container so i should be ok but i just wanted to make sure. I looked overfilled the first time i checked it from the dealer as well, back in the day. Glad i have a warranty! (aftermarket anyway...hope i carry's it's weight...hmmmm that would make an interesting post...)

thx

When I bought my car used, it was overfilled with oil by a little bit. I ran it for a while with no problems. It is hard not to over fill it, esp. if you are used to big engines with a 5 qt capacity. What I do now is put about 3 or 31/2 qts, then let it go for a day, check the oil later, and add any if needed.

You don't want it to be extremely overfilled, that can cause damage... I would say 1/2 qt or so shouldn't hurt.

matt