Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I get another sube??

Ok. ive been offered a EA82T GL10 TurboWagon. Touring wagon with raised roof, EA82T, full time 4WD 5spd with diff lock (single range). Power everything. Its got all the options but the sunroof. Body is rough, engine may need a new turbo, or could be as bad as new heads (havent determined yet).

The owner offered to trade me straight across for a computer. I have the spare computer I can get rid of, but the problem I have is i already have a lifted wagon and a brat. I have no room to park and no money to register another car.

But I would love to hop up a EA82T and tear it around on the pavement and gravel.

Should I?

Or should I sell the computer, and build a better and faster one?

-Brian

so how much does it cost to register a car in california these days?

let the computer go and gets the soob! you dont just up and get offered touring wagons all the time.

we just fixed a turbo motor with a bad gasket, it started right up.

the motor in the back of my gl-10 had both head hgaskets blown, heads are still good!

doing up a turbo motor is no mre than any other soob motor, 'cept for a big ol' turbo hanging out the back.

Yeah, i think i could get it running, and with alittle tweaking i could make it fast. The FT4WD works great. The car belongs to my roomate, and i went with him for the test drive.

Miles, my Brat will cost $44 for this year, and i just paid $62 to register my wagon for another year. Next year is smog year (yay) and it will almost be double after total tests and fee's.

To have a 3rd wagon will kill me. I could use $300 (the value of the computer) more than another sube. But your right, when will i ever get another offer like this.

-Brian

Thats another reason why I want it. It would be the newest Subaru I've owned. Its a 1989 GL10, and its pretty roomy compared to my wagon and brat. It would be a perfect road trip car.

If you have a brand new car, you get reamed on taxes. When I bought my brat, i had the owner write $300 on the title when sold, instaed of $1,500. That way tax isnt that much.

When I bought my '84 Wagon, the dealer i bought it from tried to charge me $280 in tax when he was asking $1400 for the car. I told him i would give him $1,100 cash that same day, including what ever tax came to, and he would have to figure out the rest.

Anyhow. A $30,000 car, you'd pay ALOT in tax's. Thats why cali sucks.

But a $300 '89 GL10 Turbo Wagon with FT4WD 5spd.... its hard to pass up.

-Brian

Tryin to catch up with me Bri? :grin: Yeah, this is a good deal your getting here, and if your trading a computer, then you could have the bill of sale written out for like a buck, try taxing that!! Thats one of the things that I like about up there, buying a car, the car costs just what's asked for it, and I think that I pay like 50 bucks every couple of years, means that I'm out like 200 bucks for my four, but that ain't too bad.

Anyways, GET THE WAGON!!!!!

Should you get another subaru? YES YES YES!!!!!!

The answer is always yes!

everyday I drool as I drive by a silver hatch with NO VISIBLE RUST! :slobber: I would buy it in a second but the person bought it for their kid and it is not for sale.:boohoo:

Depends on whether or not you want the 89 Touring wagon more than your other current two, or if you could sell the touring wagon for more than the $300 after you went to PNP and put a few bucks in parts into it.

Personally, if its just you driving them and you dont have the room to park them, its just a waste of time and energy to take care of cars you can't afford to drive or maintain. I think a focused effort on one of these 3 would be the best bet. I think you need to sell your gold wagon, lift the brat, and keep the turbo touring wagon for racing.

You did ask! :dead:

Shawn

Insurance isnt really that expensive. My brat and wagon averages about $400ea for 6months of insurance. Of course the GL10 would be different being its a different engine, and its a faster car. But it does have AWD and thats a big safety factor.

It probably wouldnt be insured or re-registered until its running to my standards (FAST!!)

-Brian

THe raffle is a good idea. But if I get it, i want to make it fast. Ive never had a EFI motor let alone a turbo, and im very eager to make some power. But SHawn is right, its a waste of time to have 3 cars. Expecially since i dont even have 2 parking spots let alone 3.

Shawn. I had that exact same idea today on my way home from work. I bought the brat so I can have the best of both worlds... slow for the woods, and a faster brat for the street. My goal was to make the Brat EFI but I could just lift the brat and use the GL10 as a racer.

Another Idea i had was to buy it, get it running and take it to Oregon and sell it. I know someone will buy it after the 1st snowfall. And if I could get it running the way it was when it was bought, i know I could get $1,500 for it and not even have to smog it :)

-Brian

i don't know Brian......

having the $$ to do things WITH them as opposed to putting $$ IN them are two different things........

finishing one or two COMPLETELY is better than 3 piles sucking $$ all the time,

strip the GL wagon's good bits and sell it, then think about other projects, especially if space is an issue

just my two cents..

shanonsf

I'll call you about Wed.............looking for rotors too

its only a waste of time having 3 cars if someone junks 2 of them when you werent looking! but gettin your hands dirty on more and more

soobs is gold.

you are only going to know about what you get into to begin with.

that is my claim to my subaru knowledge, because i went through so many of them. i think if you can manage, keep them all

swap around the best stuff on your favorite ride, and use the leftovers to keep the others driveable.

to bad you didnt live out this way, because you can let the grass grow high enough and no one would see them to complain!!!!

as long as you can see them done its worh it. just so long as you dont mind spending all your time on subarus. but if you have a subaru, what better else is there to do?! (besides the message board!)

• 3 weeks later...