Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stupid 5-lug conversion problem, AGAIN!!!

Caboobaroo

I started the 5-lug on my RX finally (thanks Andy!) and I went to put the front control arms in and the stupid bolt that holds the control arm to the crossmember is too big!!! I ran into the same problem on Andrew's '87 turbowagon when we did the 5-lug on it as well. So I'm going to go the same route as what I did before. I drilled the hole out extra large, welded a washer onto the crossmeber lower and further out then before so the control arm clears the crossmember and be done with it. Now I gotta get some washers and a big enough drill bit and I'll be set.

Sorry about the rant, just kinda pisses me off sometimes...:rolleyes:

Save yourself the headache and just buy oversize offroad rims.

http://alliedarmament.homestead.com/SubParts.html there is a group buy going right now.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36077

I started the 5-lug on my RX finally (thanks Andy!) and I went to put the front control arms in and the stupid bolt that holds the control arm to the crossmember is too big!!! I ran into the same problem on Andrew's '87 turbowagon when we did the 5-lug on it as well. So I'm going to go the same route as what I did before. I drilled the hole out extra large, welded a washer onto the crossmeber lower and further out then before so the control arm clears the crossmember and be done with it. Now I gotta get some washers and a big enough drill bit and I'll be set.

I would if I was gonna offroad my black RX but sorry, aint that stupid. I'm into street cars, not offroad Soobs... yet.

Anyways, I got a few more questions about interchangability. There's a few Legacys here in the yards and I was wondering if they would interchange with Impreza/WRX brakes and suspension. Just so I can upgrade to better performance suspension after I get the car back onto the ground and running deent.

Cant you use the original bolt from the x-member? Or is the hole in the control arm the same as the bolt?

Shady, would appreciate it if you kept your promotions in your own threads.

Cant you use the original bolt from the x-member? Or is the hole in the control arm the same as the bolt?

UNfortunately, no. I had to do the same thing with my 5 lug setup.. I think it has something to do with using 2wd Xt6 control arms. The bolts are substantially larger, as are the holes in the control arm.

Additional note: the outer cup on the 2wd XT6 Cv seems to be quite a lot larger than its 4wd brethren. Finding a stupid boot for it has turned out to be quite an adventure.

yeah Andrew got his front setup off of a 2wd XT6 and from what Andy (baccarruda) said, this is on a 4wd since I also got the rear brakes and stuff. I guess I'll have to mod it to fit, nothin I haven't done before:rolleyes:

Yes thats the reason I'm going with the 5-lug is for the bigger brake options and front coilovers too. Cause if you've got more go, you've gotta have more woah:D