Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What Is Meant By: "Air Assisted Injector"?

Anyone? I see this from time to time with regard to descriptions of newer Subie EFI systems.

I also see it used with regards to gasoline direct injection, but I'm assuming that's a different thing ...maybe not.

asked you Blitz. If you find out let us know.

LOL, that's what I was afraid would happen. :lol: Some of the items that get onto my "chit-list" that I scribble onto throughout the day are things to learn. I'm such a nerd.

probably some sort of high swirl venturii air passage around the injector nossle
That sounds about right. I was thinking that it might have something to do with passing air through through the injector along with the fuel in order to get a better atomization spray-pattern, but I'm not sure.

I did a search, but I can't find crap. I think there's something wrong with my search technique. :confused:

Blitz, you are correct. On some Subaru's there is a solenoid mounted just to the left of the alternator. It gets it's air input from the throttle body or a port on the Idle Air Solenoid. The ECU then activates the solenoid to let air pass at either a set RPM/Load pattern or feedback from the front O2 sensor.

The Air from this solenoid then goes to the side of the fuel injectors to allow better atomization of fuel and altering spray patterns at certain RPM's.

These are normally found on N/A engines. Turbo's use a 'Tumber Valve' to help accomplish this as well as altering the 'swirl' as the fuel mixture enters the combustion chamber.

The Air Assist codes I have seen set have never turned out to be the solenoid, but always a 'slow to repsond' front O2 sensor.

Blitz, you are correct. On some Subaru's there is a solenoid mounted just to the left of the alternator. It gets it's air input from the throttle body or a port on the Idle Air Solenoid. The ECU then activates the solenoid to let air pass at either a set RPM/Load pattern or feedback from the front O2 sensor.

The Air from this solenoid then goes to the side of the fuel injectors to allow better atomization of fuel and altering spreay patterns at certain RPM's.

These are normally found on N/A engines. Turbo's use a 'Tumber Valve' to help accomplish this as well as altering the 'swirl' as the fuel mixture enters the combustion chamber.

Thanks ferret. I followed the line from the injectors up to the IAC on my car.

The Air Assist codes I have seen set have never turned out to be the solenoid, but always a 'slow to repsond' front O2 sensor.

That's good info to know. There seems to be a fair amount of other codes that are "false" as well on OBDII systems.

stopped with the fender Twin Reverb and the Strat. When I rebuilt diesel injectors they were really big squirt guns (Detroit 671) that worked off a cam follower.

I am glad somebody knows how the injection system works so there is somebody to ask what part to change! Good job guys.