Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Question about a sway bar in a 92 legacy

Just wanted to know if it was necassary to have a front sway bar. (Just temporarily.) I think its my stablilizer link that is causing the proble. The link on the left side is rubbing against my tie rod end and is making a loud noise. Just wanted to know if it would hurt anything to go without it for a couple of days.

Your steering will feel soggy, and the back of the car will tend to slide. Especially if you close the throttle or brake in a bend. BE CAREFUL!

Great thanks for the input. Just wasn't sure if it would hurt any other steering components with the sway bar missing.

Actually.....you really shouldn't drive without a front sway bar....

If you do, you need to be extremely careful.

Whats the worst that could happen without it? Will it damage anything else, I dont plan on taking hard corners or high speeds, Just driving in town a little. I think it is the stabilzer link but not sure, When i look under the car the left side link stands straight up, and the right side leans toward the front of the car, when ever I turn or go over a curd or anything it makes a loud clunk noise. (rubbing against my tie rod) With the link being like that would that be the problem. Or could the bushings also cause that problem.

I took out the one stabilizer link and noticed the busings in the link were both slanted sideways and the rubber was worn out. So now I have 1 link in. lol. But no noise. Hopefully when i go to the dealorship on mon. they will have the part in stock. But I still have a noise that sounds like the front strut. I just put new ones in, so maybe it could be the other link making noise cause the other side is out. It only makes the noise on the side where the link is in.

I took out the one stabilizer link and noticed the busings in the link were both slanted sideways and the rubber was worn out. So now I have 1 link in. lol. But no noise. Hopefully when i go to the dealorship on mon. they will have the part in stock. But I still have a noise that sounds like the front strut. I just put new ones in, so maybe it could be the other link making noise cause the other side is out. It only makes the noise on the side where the link is in.

Haven't noticed any change in the performance yet, but I also haven't been doing any hard cornering. Dont plan

on it untill the new links are in. lol:)

I removed both of my sway bar links thinking that was the noise cause I have one of the links that is worn and was rubbing against my tie rod end. But I am now still getting the noise, I am starting to maybe think when I replaced my struts I put the left on the right hand side and the right on the left hand side, But I am pretty sure I did not make that mistake. I also have a ripped boot on my balljoint and maybe it lacking lubrication. Its a loud clunk when I step on the gas or turn corners. Doesn't necessarily make the clunk noise when going over bumps or anything. I hate these kind of problems. Its like a procces of elimination.

Sounds more like an axle to me.

Check the the struts, they should have a stamped indicator of driver or passenger on the tops or on the insert above the hubs.

Instead of removing a component repair it, that way you know its not driveline slop.