Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The Unibody is PERFECT!

We sanded the '86 back through the primer just to see... she's perfect... we found there were never side steps installed on this truck. It looked like there were indentations where the sidesteps would be, but just found some slight rust repair. Looking closer in the bed, it appears there isn't the right configuration of "bumps" for seat brackets either.

It's like an archaeological dig... uncovering layers to the bare metal. There are some bars inside the place where the sidestep would be?

Never owning a second Gen this is a new experience.

I think we may have determined that no sidesteps or seats were installed after May 1986, which is the build date of this truck. Anyone know when they stopped installing the seats?

Right,it was all about insurance companies (another reason to hate CT).

I always thought that some states were still allowed to have them,but other folks have stated that it was across the country,100%

I'm guessin the bars were installed in the last year,as I've never noticed them before.Anyone else?

Dr. Leaky would be proud of you and Tim.Keep digging,there's gold in them thar Brats!!

Sounds nice. Anyplans to put a set of seats in it anyway? Most of all the BRATs have them cut out by now so even if it did have them you would probly have to weld another set in there.

Did you decide on a color yet?

I think the screaming red will be the color. I'll design some custom graphics for the decals.

Yes, we're adding the seats and sidesteps. I grabbed a full set of seats/belts/frame/headrests (it was minus one pistol grip and a part for the slider on the headrest... it was a Buy It Now on eBay that was just put up.

The hood arrived... damaged beyond repair by DHL, stabbed with a fork from the forktruck... the company found another one the next day and shipped it out on Friday... hope this one makes it!

Well done Mary, glad to read it has so much potential.

My 78 and my 85 both have seats, belts, head rests and

now get this - the 78 came with "booties" maybe called "gaiters"

to cover the seat belt retractors !!

I have a removable set for my "dress Brat"

They can be found,

some are a bit salty

but this is ridiculous!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973528651&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW

Well done Mary, glad to read it has so much potential.

My 78 and my 85 both have seats, belts, head rests and

now get this - the 78 came with "booties" maybe called "gaiters"

to cover the seat belt retractors !!

I have a removable set for my "dress Brat"

They can be found,

some are a bit salty

but this is ridiculous!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7973528651&category=6763&sspagename=WDVW

Holy crap! Seem a bit pricy.

YIKES! Pricey is an understatement! The set I just got was $150... snagged it! We'll see the true condition when they arrive.. Armoral is a great concealer/enhancer especially for pictures.

Skip, my original Brat had those cute little booties... I just tossed them out a couple of months before I got this '78, along with the owner's manual, repair book, etc. Self, I said, "Why am I keeping this sh-stuff?" Who knew I'd ever own another one?

YIKES! Pricey is an understatement! The set I just got was $150... snagged it! We'll see the true condition when they arrive.. Armoral is a great concealer/enhancer especially for pictures.

Skip, my original Brat had those cute little booties... I just tossed them out a couple of months before I got this '78, along with the owner's manual, repair book, etc. Self, I said, "Why am I keeping this sh-stuff?" Who knew I'd ever own another one?

NEVER throw anything away!:banghead:

I will hopefully be aquiring two more gen 1 Brat with some extra goodies. One is an '81 GL, d/r EA81, low rollbar, jumpseats with handles, seatbelts, headrests. The other is an '80 DL, s/r EA71, stock A-bar, low topper. Its all in where you look to find stuff like this. I'll probably be getting both Brats CHEAP since the guys appears to also be kind of a Subaru fanatic but his wife wants them gone... so I'll prolly snag them for a few hundred bucks after my RX is running:D

'85 was the last year for the jump seats. The '86 full line brochure doesn't include the Brat, as they had to get new pics of 'em without the seats, and the Brat has it's own brochure for '86, just like in '82 when it switched body styles...

for all sorts of Brat info, check out the "encyclopedia" here....

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/brats/brats.html

:)