Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Installing Door speakers 05ob wagon

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great info over the years.

I am trying to install new speakers in my doors. How in the heck are you suppose to remove the panel without tearing it apart.

1) The panel uses traditional pop fasteners on the bottom, but it is too narrow to get up under with yer hands. So the bottom while easy to pull away leaves you the top and middle which do not have a conventional lift off point.

2) The arm rest does not appear to serve as an anchoring point with screws attaching the rest and panel together.

Any help would be appreciated. Also how in the hell do we install a new radio when the time comes? The facsia is all one continous peice? How are you suppose to up grade that?

Thanks,

There's a fellow searching this same info right now since his kid slid his credit card down the window slot. He may luck out in knowing the bottom pops out.

I did look for the screws in the arm rest etc and couldn't find any of the usual ones. The older models in addition to the screws needed to be lifted in an upwards direction off of a channel.

As far as the faceplate, there is a replacement two piece unit being used by Subaru now and available as a replacement part. Apparently, the boys in design were a little slow on the pickup in this regard... doh. The issue is actually discussed on the NHTSA site under Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) for the make and model.

Thanks man,

Yeah, I tried popping out the bottom. Thats as Far as I got. If you lay on your back and look up you can see it attaches somewhere around the arm rest area. After that I will be damned if I can determine where else it anchors.

I did notice the speaker is made of paper. That only makes me want to change it more. As the car only has 7000miles I am reluctant to use a heavy hand.

post-2593-136027601395_thumb.jpg

For giggles, while at the dealer today I got the service dept. to scan the interior trim panel parts blowup for me. Appears there may be a screw inside the light at the rear lower corner but this may be just to attach the light. If you need the schematic, PM me and I might be able to fax or scan and email attachment. I don't know how to do it on this site.

Hey Brus,

You can Fax the Schmatic to me at 650-225-6950 or email me the scanned image at whilow@gene.com

Thanks man,

For giggles, while at the dealer today I got the service dept. to scan the interior trim panel parts blowup for me. Appears there may be a screw inside the light at the rear lower corner but this may be just to attach the light. If you need the schematic, PM me and I might be able to fax or scan and email attachment. I don't know how to do it on this site.